How is your wood pile doing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Here are some pics of my wood pile. About 8 cord so far. I still have about a cord left to split and stack. I have had the new/used resolute acclaime going all day today and I have only filled it up 3 times since 7 am. I burnt about 4 cord last year I am hoping to burn about 3 this year with the new stove. I love it. The stove the wood the splitter the chainsaw the trailer the wood pile the search for wood the .......everything about burning for heat. How about you?

Attachments

• wood pile 2006 #1.jpg
    wood pile 2006 #1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 451
  • woodpile 2006 #2.jpg
    woodpile 2006 #2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 427
2 m ore pics

Attachments

• woodpile 2006 #3.jpg
    woodpile 2006 #3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 397
  • woodpile 2006 #4.jpg
    woodpile 2006 #4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 397
Nice pile of wood. I am in southern New England and haven't lit up yet.

Sweet looking pile! money in the bank...were you doing the bring it on dance to the winter winds!!!

Right now we have around 13-14 cord, split and stacked,, we burn around 5 a year..got another cord lined up hopefully will get home this weekend..

Nice, What kind of wood is it? Maple? I've only fired up the stove a few nights so far. Looks like I'll be burning soon, a cold front moving in on Wed.

most of it is red oak, some maple and some hemlock pine. Most of it free which is the best part.

michaelthomas said:
most of it is red oak, some maple and some hemlock pine. Most of it free which is the best part.
Nice pile of wood. How is it doing for drying ? Does it dry well where its located ? I c u mentioned having Red Oak , Is this its second season drying ? Its nice to get ahead on wood. again , very nice. BTW We love pictures ... post all you want.

mike I burned between 3 / 4 cords ran it pretymush at 500 550 degrees 24/7 I would not damper down when temps were below 18 but would run it with primary air just about closed I was around a lot and re loaded as needed. At night I would load it up let burn with the air as I described. if above 18 after fully i caught 15 to 25 minutes later I would damper it down and move the air to 1/4 and damper it down Real cold night I would not damper it down at all and reload it at 3:30 so the wife was warm she would put 3 splits in ttill I got up to take over. Before I re did the stove the damper gasket was falling out the griddle ok but now all these issues have been corrected It is possible 3 cords will produce more heat that your old stove. My rebuilt Encore is running sweet still tweaking it. I re-did both door glass gaskets and will be doing the gridle gasket. My wife still complains about the lack of the warming tray and mitten holders. Have you seen the secondary burn once you get it to 500 degrees and damper it?

Nice looking wood piles. I have to get off my but and get moving on my wood plies.

elkimmeg said:
mike I burned between 3 / 4 cords ran it pretymush at 500 550 degrees 24/7 I would not damper down when temps were below 18 but would run it with primary air just about closed I was around a lot and re loaded as needed. At night I would load it up let burn with the air as I described. if above 18 after fully i caught 15 to 25 minutes later I would damper it down and move the air to 1/4 and damper it down Real cold night I would not damper it down at all and reload it at 3:30 so the wife was warm she would put 3 splits in ttill I got up to take over. Before I re did the stove the damper gasket was falling out the griddle ok but now all these issues have been corrected It is possible 3 cords will produce more heat that your old stove. My rebuilt Encore is running sweet still tweaking it. I re-did both door glass gaskets and will be doing the gridle gasket. My wife still complains about the lack of the warming tray and mitten holders. Have you seen the secondary burn once you get it to 500 degrees and damper it?

The secondary burn is really cool. Dancing flames in mid air. I never saw that with the old stove. Thanks again elk

The one out back is. I only have 2 or3 hundred cord to scrounge from. Do you think that will be enough for this year Elk?

Roospike said:
michaelthomas said:
Nice pile of wood. How is it doing for drying ? Does it dry well where its located ? I c u mentioned having Red Oak , Is this its second season drying ? Its nice to get ahead on wood. again , very nice. BTW We love pictures ... post all you want.

About 2 cord in the front is on it's second season of drying. i am hoping that will get me through till jan or feb. and then I will have to use some of the 8 month old oak. It is not ideal but... next year I will have 5-6 cord of 2 year dried wood and plan on scrounging another 3-4 cord a year to stay ahead. the location is not ideal for drying as it is pretty wooded, very open to wind just not to sun. I have been wandering around some of the trees with my chainsaw in hand to get them used to the idea! I would like to cut down 5 trees that would open up the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.