1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

how large are your splits

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dave_376, Nov 22, 2012.

1. dave_376

dave_376 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central Ct
    This is my first year burning in an epa stove, an older Avalon 1196 that came with the house. I started gathering and splitting my wood last year. I split my wood big because that is what I did with my old smoke dragon. My concern is that everytime I see someone loading an EPA stove in a video they are loading small pieces 3"-4" splits. Most of mine are 6"-9" ,big heavy pieces of wood. My stove top has been around 350F most burns sometimes I can get it up to 550F but not easily. Am I doing it wrong, should I resplit my wood smaller?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HotCoals

HotCoals Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,Ny.
    Having a mixture of sizes is a good thing!
    At night I put the bigger splits on top of the smaller ones..works for me!
    Hiram Maxim likes this.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Rules of thumb for wood burning:
    Kindling - the size of your fingers...
    Starter Splits - The size of your forearm...
    Full splits - 1/4 of the log MAX...
    YMMV...
  4. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    My splits are 3-6", bigger than that takes a long time to dry, harder to handle and a pain loading into the stove.
  5. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    What species of woods do you have? If its heavy stuff like oak, those big splits may not have dried enough in one year. Many of us split small to dry faster, but I leave some big ones for overnight loads.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We burn large splits for long burns, but have a mix of everything from 3-5" up to 9-10".
  7. Isaac Carlson

Isaac Carlson New Member

We use mostly 3-4" splits but use 5-8" for overnight burns in our epa stove. I like to use bigger chunks in bigger stoves.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    One of the biggest factors for size of splits is the size of your firebox. If you have, say, a 1.5 cu. ft. firebox it would be silly to have 8-9" splits or even 6" simply because it would be difficult to fill the firebox. But if one had smaller splits then the firebox could be filled a bit easier. And of course the drying of the wood comes into the equation also.

We tend to put at least one large split or round in the firebox for night burning but that means we really do not need many of them. Certainly at this time of the year we don't put big stuff in the firebox because that much heat is not needed yet. When January rolls around it is a different story.
    Hiram Maxim and WhitePine like this.
  9. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    I use small splits for quick hot fires and larger splits for overnight burns. My largest splits are about 8" across. At night I put a few small splits on the bottom with some air space between them, then I load with large splits. Once I have as many large splits as I can fit I fill in the gaps with some smaller splits. With the air gaps and a hot fire on the bottom the solidly packed wood heats and starts to off-gass quickly which launches the secondaries for a long overnight burn.

Having a mix of split sizes is good. Both diameter and length. Short splits N/S load, long splits E/W load. Pack it full for the longest burn. Use your air controls to adjust the amount of heat.

KaptJaq
  10. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    If that is red oak it may not be fully seasoned out red oak takes about 2 or 3 year to season.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    This is not really correct? I split some wood this summer that was about 40"s in diameter!! a quarter of that one was about as much as I could pick up and was close to the size of my stove!! I would say this would be the rule for a say 12" round maybe 14"er but bigger than that your going to have to split way smaller. Those trees I had this summer were yielding 20-25splits each of 4" or so splits!!
  12. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    My average split size are 7"x8"!
    I have been progressively going larger and most stuff is 10x10 now but I have a good surplus, so lots of time to dry...
  13. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    If I can handle it with one hand it dosent get split again.
    Gark likes this.
  14. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    That's why I said 1/4 MAX. Maybe I should have qualified that to about 8" across...
  15. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    I like a variety of split sizes, but honestly really large splits don't usually work out so great for me.
  16. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    When i split wood i like to have all sizes like others said.
  17. Dunragit

Dunragit Member

Loc:
    OK
    Maybe the moisture content is too high still?
  18. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Last couple of log loads I tried to go for the slab look (two opposite sides parallel), and light enough to carry with one hand (me not too strong). I figure it'll be easier to stack in the stove. It'll be a while before my theory will get tested.