how large is 4 cords dumped in a pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This young guy was new to the business so i had to give him a math lesson before the 3rd and 4th cords came. He was using 1.4 as a length multiplier for my wood and i corrected him and said a 16” log was only 1.33 feet. I was gentle with the boy/man 18 years old and he did finally figure it out, but I doubt he would have changed his multiplier if I hadn’t challenged him and proved in a primitive way ( the only way that he could understand) that 16” wood was a decimal equivalent of 1.33. He did thank me and told me he was slow at math, but his partner and father were using the same decimal equivalents to measure their deliveries.

Imagine how many poor bastards are getting ripped off?

What a man ! : "1.33" is not the same as "1.4" . Can you believe the nerve of this "boy/man" ? Wow. Gee, the gray matter is falling all over the place.

Logging 101 (non-controversial)
1. Get to tree with full gear, fuel, training, sweat.
2. Skillfully fell tree.
3. Limb, buck, clear brush, load butts, or skid logs.
4. Split and stack, or pile.
5. Load firewood on vehicle, use fossil fuel, unload.

Now, who is "cheating" who here ? And why are all these firewood sellers going to "short" you, or lie about "seasoned wood" ?
Would all of you victims please raise your hands if you have ever harvested one tree --that's stump to stove girls ?
Do you really mean that 1.33 is not 1.4 ? Wow. ...and the boy/man thanked you ? Wow. Those "poor ripped off bastards".

downeast said:
This young guy was new to the business so i had to give him a math lesson before the 3rd and 4th cords came. He was using 1.4 as a length multiplier for my wood and i corrected him and said a 16” log was only 1.33 feet. I was gentle with the boy/man 18 years old and he did finally figure it out, but I doubt he would have changed his multiplier if I hadn’t challenged him and proved in a primitive way ( the only way that he could understand) that 16” wood was a decimal equivalent of 1.33. He did thank me and told me he was slow at math, but his partner and father were using the same decimal equivalents to measure their deliveries.

Imagine how many poor bastards are getting ripped off?

What a man ! : "1.33" is not the same as "1.4" . Can you believe the nerve of this "boy/man" ? Wow. Gee, the gray matter is falling all over the place.

Logging 101 (non-controversial)
1. Get to tree with full gear, fuel, training, sweat.
2. Skillfully fell tree.
3. Limb, buck, clear brush, load butts, or skid logs.
4. Split and stack, or pile.
5. Load firewood on vehicle, use fossil fuel, unload.

Now, who is "cheating" who here ? And why are all these firewood sellers going to "short" you, or lie about "seasoned wood" ?
Would all of you victims please raise your hands if you have ever harvested one tree --that's stump to stove girls ?
Do you really mean that 1.33 is not 1.4 ? Wow. ...and the boy/man thanked you ? Wow. Those "poor ripped off bastards".

Hey. 5% is 5%....Charge 5% more and give the right amount. It is very simple. Many people do not mind paying the market price, as long as you get what you agree to pay for. Anything less is a ripoff, and stupidity (or ignorance) is not an excuse.

To answer your question, the cheater in the above-mentioned example was the supplier who shorted the cord.

My hand is up by the way. I think using the chainsaw and splitting maul is fun, but I am obviously twisted.

I'll give you 95 cents for a dollar.....sound good? If you are a supplier, it sounds like you have rationalized to yourself why you cheat and what makes it OK.

OK Pete et. al. You look at wood suppliers carefully perhaps because it looks easy and simple: "hey, it's just a tree". Read "Logging 101".
Do you check the gas pump, the gallon of milk, the six pack for that missing 5% ? How about that DSL or wireless you use ? Do your designer underpants have the allotted cotton ? Check it out.
So get off your butts ( bucks) and try it: stump to stove. Get out of the virtual world, do some sweat time.
This is Forrest Gump stuff here about those "damn" wood suppliers just waiting to cheat, to give wet wood, to get that extra 5%. It's a labor intensive commodity that to the ignorant, looks simple. And no, Pettey baby ,this is no "supplier", just one who has harvested his own for a long time....enjoyably. %-P

Most wood dealers are not real smart i dont think they where ripping you off with the funny math . Most guys would drop back and fill your pile to the proper volume . Its hard to eye ball wood ,dirt, chips , sand . What I like is the face cord I like my wood 251/2" so the guys want to sell a face cord at half price of a cord , and charge me a few bucks more for the length ( extra 11/2" ) & custom cut length . I say what ever , charge me what you want . Then the bone head sends 18 " splits and calls it a face cord Ok! but i paid you for 251/2 " split or 6 1/2 cord 3 full cord . Then there is selling buy the ton . I like it when they hose the wood down at night and load the trucks in the am or send it in the rain . Im glad i get my own wood .

downeast said:

The hand is in the air John Wayne. One finger extended. The nine cords behind the house were standing in the woods in front of the house until me and one of the saws showed up for a Come To Jesus Meeting. And the five cords a year before that and the five cords each year the two decades before that. Hell I cut at 17" to 18" and calculate the stacks at 16" lengths.

Ya think if I do that just so I don't cheat myself on volume that I am going to take crap off a wood peddler if I ever get too freaking old and decrepit to cut my own.

Hell no.

I have paid $700 for 4 cords c/s/d to my house over the past two months. Two are stacked and the other two were stacked in the truck. At that price I am not going to say a word. I would say they were 4-5% light. The last guys i bought from split and deliver wood after their full time jobs. I can think of easier PT work. All red oak btw...beautiful stuff.

mannybeingmanny said:
I have paid $700 for 4 cords c/s/d to my house over the past two months. Two are stacked and the other two were stacked in the truck. At that price I am not going to say a word. I would say they were 4-5% light. The last guys i bought from split and deliver wood after their full time jobs. I can think of easier PT work. All red oak btw...beautiful stuff.

If I could buy red oak for $175 a cord +/- 5% I would never fire those saws again. Hang on to those guys.

downeast said:
OK Pete et. al. You look at wood suppliers carefully perhaps because it looks easy and simple: "hey, it's just a tree". Read "Logging 101".
Do you check the gas pump, the gallon of milk, the six pack for that missing 5% ? How about that DSL or wireless you use ? Do your designer underpants have the allotted cotton ? Check it out.
So get off your butts ( bucks) and try it: stump to stove. Get out of the virtual world, do some sweat time.
This is Forrest Gump stuff here about those "damn" wood suppliers just waiting to cheat, to give wet wood, to get that extra 5%. It's a labor intensive commodity that to the ignorant, looks simple. And no, Pettey baby ,this is no "supplier", just one who has harvested his own for a long time....enjoyably. %-P

I know people from Maine and they all know how to read; you should try it sometime. I have done exactly as you state and I do it for fun. I do almost every project around the house myself because I can. Cutting wood and splitting by hand is fun to me. As is moving rocks (big ones), again by hand. I do this type of hard manual labor for fun, because I spend too much time sitting in my car commuting.

I have stated previously to one of your other like-minded posts, I think suppliers WORK REALLY HARD and I am not sure how they can make any money. So charge me an arm and a leg for your wood...I don't give a #$@%, I will either buy it from you or not if I don't like the price. I just don't have any tolerance for dishonesty or scamming...or the lack of individual responsibility that is so prevalent in our society for that matter. If you get screwed because you didn't check, that is your problem.

For the record, I have never complained about suppliers screwing anybody (hasn't happened to me and if I let it happen that would be my own fault)...I just thought your defense for shorting a customer of "well it is really hard work" and the rationalization that "well everyone else is screwing you, so I should be able to also" is a sad comment on your value system. Hard work or the fact that other people cheat does not justify screwing ones customers out of what was promised.

BTW, how would you know what kind of underwear I wear? %-P

Pete

PeteD said:
I know people from Maine and they all know how to read; you should try it sometime. I have done exactly as you state and I do it for fun. I do almost every project around the house myself because I can. Cutting wood and splitting by hand is fun to me. As is moving rocks (big ones), again by hand. I do this type of hard manual labor for fun, because I spend too much time sitting in my car commuting.
I have stated previously to one of your other like-minded posts, I think suppliers WORK REALLY HARD and I am not sure how they can make any money. So charge me an arm and a leg for your wood...I don't give a #$@%, I will either buy it from you or not if I don't like the price. I just don't have any tolerance for dishonesty or scamming...or the lack of individual responsibility that is so prevalent in our society for that matter. If you get screwed because you didn't check, that is your problem.
For the record, I have never complained about suppliers screwing anybody (hasn't happened to me and if I let it happen that would be my own fault)...I just thought your defense for shorting a customer of "well it is really hard work" and the rationalization that "well everyone else is screwing you, so I should be able to also" is a sad comment on your value system. Hard work or the fact that other people cheat does not justify screwing ones customers out of what was promised.
Pete

Dear Pettey (sic)

Some large assumptions made by you and other victims here. Somewhat unachieved ascribed superiority.

So you do physical work for fun, not bucks. So ?

If you read it will be clear that the "working hard" by wood suppliers is not the issue. The issue is ( read carefully): THAT SO MANY OF YOU WITH NO EXPERIENCE HARVESTING FIREWOOD CHOSE TO ASSUME THAT WOOD SUPPLIERS ARE TRYING TO CHEAT YOU VICTIMS, LYING ABOUT SEASONED WOOD, OR CHARGING "UNFAIR" OR "WAY HIGH PRICES". Period. Read past like-minded posts Pettey. E.g "screwing", "value system", "dishonest", etc.... It's all there without interpretation. Why ASS-U-ME that those wood people alone are out to get you ?

So an analogy is well in order here: do you also check on the screwing or honesty of all your other suppliers: underwear, fuel, food, software ( e.g. are bugs dishonest ?) ?. You're pedestalling yourself as bright, aren't you ? :sick:

...and we know your address as well as underwear. :lol: Touchy are we ? %-P

PS My curricula vitae is private, but you can assume it includes too much post-grad education, professional practice, business. Oh yeah, I cut wood.

downeast said:
PeteD said:
Pete

Dear Pettey (sic)

Some large assumptions made by you and other victims here. Somewhat unachieved ascribed superiority.

So you do physical work for fun, not bucks. So ?

If you read it will be clear that the "working hard" by wood suppliers is not the issue. The issue is ( read carefully): THAT SO MANY OF YOU WITH NO EXPERIENCE HARVESTING FIREWOOD CHOSE TO ASSUME THAT WOOD SUPPLIERS ARE TRYING TO CHEAT YOU VICTIMS, LYING ABOUT SEASONED WOOD, OR CHARGING "UNFAIR" OR "WAY HIGH PRICES". Period. Read past like-minded posts Pettey. E.g "screwing", "value system", "dishonest", etc.... It's all there without interpretation. Why ASS-U-ME that those wood people alone are out to get you ?

So an analogy is well in order here: do you also check on the screwing or honesty of all your other suppliers: underwear, fuel, food, software ( e.g. are bugs dishonest ?) ?. You're pedestalling yourself as bright, aren't you ? :sick:

...and we know your address as well as underwear. :lol: Touchy are we ? %-P

PS My curricula vitae is private, but you can assume it includes too much post-grad education, professional practice, business. Oh yeah, I cut wood.

You did not need to tell me all that...I am not a elitist, which is what you are describing. That is not what I am, so try again. I have zero post-grad education and very little respect for it to be honest - show me some work experience - that is what I care about. I never took Latin either; I prefer English, thanks.

I spent a number of years performing manual labor for money - and I thought that was fun too. I do not like flying a desk, it is that simple. No elitism at all.

People making an honest mistake is one thing, but I have a lot of experience with shoddy construction techniques and skimping on specs that goes beyond honest mistakes. Yes, I do verify what I can, and I do not think expecting honesty is too much. I never said they were all trying to cheat us. I just said rationalizing the cheat is BS. I have never complained about it once.

In fact, I got a cord of wood this morning and I am not even going to stack it straight to check it!

I think you were misinterpreting my posts.

The last line was a vague reference to a classic Mom joke, so I was not being touchy.

You should stop being so grumpy, it is bad for your heart. I have not looked at your other posts, but are you always a flamer?

Edit: Why the name calling and irrational emotion?
Try this for your argument: "Guys, when you get shorted, it is probably an honest mistake, these guys are working hard and can't take the time to stack every cord, so maybe some of them come up short. As long as the make good on it when you show them, they are probably a good, hard working person trying to take care of their customers."

Pete

ok so 4 cords of wood dumped is how much??? enough so if you get a friend it will take about a good 4 -5hrs stacking....2 friends it can be done in about 2 hrs ...depending on how you stack the wood

It also depends on how far you have to move the wood to the stack. I do have a fence around my house so i had to have the wood dumped in the drive way and wheel barrow it over to the pile 30 feet away. My best time was 4 hours to stack nicely one cord.

Downeast, I don't understand your reasoning. No one ever said the job of selling cordwood was easy. It's a hard and dangerous way to make a living with lots of overhead, i.e., maintenance of tools, trucks and equipment. That aspect is not the consumers problem. It is reflected in the price one pays for a cord. If the advertised price is $250 a cord, I damn well want every cubic foot I have coming. The price is the price for a reason and it it is based on the full value of the amount received. I still did get perhaps 100 pieces per cord, per delivery, that measured 8-9"and I stacked them as the regular length pieces. In 95% of all my loads the average length of split log was 14-15 inches. I paid $250 a cord for seasoned 16" CSD wood and got wood just cut from logs laying on the ground for 8 months. You quote me like I'm some unfair piker. I don't what cave you live in, but if one offers a product for a price and is accepted that is a straight and fair deal. So it is incumbent on the seller to make good on that deal. Not to cheat everyone just 5-6%.
Any and all obstacles the seller has to over come is not my concern. A deal is a deal. I don't care how hard the logger, cutter, spliter, stacker has to work, thats not part of the deal and if you endorse cheating in the name of the difficulty with which this product is brought to you....you are wrong
Most Respectfully, Joe

Downeast, not sure what set you off, sounds like someone hit a nerve. Your ability to rationalize however is seriously flawed. Your trying to justify short changing someone by pointing out other possible injustices. That is not logical rationalization. If a seller advertises a quantity of anything at an advertised price then it has to be honored, I don't care how hard the work was to produce that product. FYI - I have cut and split 17 cords so far this year and know how much work goes into this and I still see it as a mistake to shortchange someone. I also wouldn't expect every murderer out there to get off the hook just because O.J. did.

Status
Not open for further replies.