How long before I can hit the Beech?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
I was fortunate to find two huge limbs broke off two Beech trees. Healthy trees and the dried up leaves where still on the branches. Never burned beech before. Already split and stacked. Will it be ready to go next winter? How does it burn as say oak and ash in comparision.

I won't be hitting the beach soon unless I go to Hawaii. :lol: LOL

Beech is great firewood,my primary wood for the cold part of the year.If it is cut,split and stacked now it will be fine for next winter.It produces so much coals that I have saved a pile of silver maple so when the coals get too deep I plan to burn the silver maple for awhile to burn down the coal bed otherwise the coals just get too deep.I don't really get any oak so I can't say but I would rather have beech than ash.I get hard maple,elm,black birch and other hardwoods but I would just as soon have the beech piled us as any of the others.Even my wife notices the difference and wants beech when it starts to get real cold out

I think beech is 3rd behind Locust and white ash when it comes to seasoning time and btu output!

Beech is good stuff, to compare it to ash and oak, I would say it's more similar to ash in my experience, which is a good thing, and has a low natural moisture content so it tends to season quickly. If it is split now I would say it will be good to go for next winter. Another plus for beech is that it is a clean wood, by that I mean that the smooth bark tends not to not gather mud, debris and it doesn't break apart like thicker barked species, so there is less clean up after bringing a load of beech in the house, my wife brought that to my attention, she likes "that clean wood that looks like an elephant"

Status
Not open for further replies.