How long between oil changes and when?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Getting old stinks. I really should start keeping a maintenance log of my equipment. I've got stuff that doesn't get a lot of use and so doesn't need annual oil changes. Some stuff I change oil on once a year whether it needs it or not, but sometimes I don't remember if I last changed the oil at the start, middle, or near the end of the season. Suppose I could go by the colour and wait until the end of this season if it still looks good. ISTR that my thinking on the annual changes was to put it away with fresh oil versus leaving the cruddy oil in over the Winter.

OK, so what got me thinking about this is that I'm readying my splitter for the 12 cord I have to split. I know I changed the oil on it last year sometime but by the colour of it, I'm thinking I did it at the start of the season cuz I forgot to do it the year before. That means there's over 12 cord of run time on it since. Do I run another 12 cord and then change it this Fall so that there's fresh oil sitting in it for the Winter? I can't gauge time in running hours, so how many cords do you split on one oil change?

Some of you are probably thinking that for the price of the oil to change it now and again in the Fall, but it's such a messy job, what with the stupid drain on the underside that dribbles oil all over the place. I really should put an extension pipe on it the next time I change the oil. There's a gap between the underside of the motor and the mounting plate and oil runs all over the place in the gap. I don't like to hose it down afterward cuz the top seal of the pump is right there. I'm tempted to pull the motor off of the base to add a pipe to the oil drain and wonder if I can just leave the top half of the spider coupling attached to the motor and if the two halves will just separate?

Here's a pic of the drain (recessed hole in the centre of the pic).
100_0329.JPG

my splitter (honda gx240) says every 20 hours - i did the first one at 10 just because it's a new engine

a cheap hour meter is the way to go - got mine from e-bay for like $10.00

806.jpg

oh and i had six cord done in the 10 hours

Stevebass4 said:
my splitter (honda gx240) says every 20 hours...
My B&S;manual says every 50 hours or once a year for the engine oil. I use synthetic.

It says 50 hours for the hydraulic filter and 100 hours for the hydraulic oil. I haven't changed either of those yet.

i too use a synthetic blend and mine says 100 hours for the hydro fluid as well

still i would say a cheap hour meter is the way to go - and change the oil based on the manual

my splitter is at a buddy's home but when i get it back i'll shoot some pics of the meter

I have a ton of equipment and just change fluid every year in the spring . Hydraulic fluid really doesn't go bad so i don't change it very often. ( may be every 3 years)filters every year . I like Am soil synthetic oil made for small motors I have mostly all Honda motors . I like to mark down the date and type of oil i used with magic marker on the equipment . John

yup, just checked my owners manual in the back where I write in all maintenance. changed oil in splitter last April. getting more oil today and will change it again this week gearing up for the weekend!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yup, just checked my owners manual in the back where I write in all maintenance. changed oil in splitter last April. getting more oil today and will change it again this week gearing up for the weekend!

My Honda GCV160 on my Troy Bilt says every 50 hours on the motor oil and after the first 5 hours(?). I just bought a oil pump topsider like thing so I can easily change my oil and then will do the deed shortly...

Jay

wht is an oil pump topsider thing. ??? To change the engine oil is really simple. Are you talking about hte hydro oil?

The topsider thingy is vacuum pump that sucks the oil out of the pan via the dipstick hole.

I could not find any obvious reference to changing the oil on my Honda in the manual, or online other than through the dipstick and I'm not going to be able to tilt the damm thing like the manual suggests unless I remove it from it's mount which I rather not have to do.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45403

Jay

gotchya, mine on the other hand has a nice spout that is on the side of the engine..Pretty easy to change.

Oil is cheaper than metal. So if in doubt, change it.

change once a year for me, every April. 10W-30 Full Synethetic

Status
Not open for further replies.