HOW LONG DOES A BAG OF PELLETS LAST

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had it in Sunflower mode for weeks now and no issues, just going thru the pellets, but I think the heat is worth it. I will switch to a wood pellet setting and see how long the hopper stay full and if there is that much heat loss.

Lately I'm using 1/2 a bag a day. It keeps things around 65 degrees F, I shut the stove down at night.
When the outside temperatures are in the 30s or lower, I run the stove 24 hours a day and use a bag a day.

Last year was my first year with a pellet stove, I use it to supplement my oil furnace. I used about half the oil I normally used in a year and saved a few hundred dollars in heating costs.

Dave

I am wondering what will happen if the stove runs out of pellets? Will it simply shutdown with an error code or would I be risking damaging it? I have a Mt Vernon AE--1st year and it is running on Sunflower seed mode, HIGH (awesome heat). I top it off before going to bed, but it is is super cold it may run all night. Oh as for pellets I am using Power Pellets.
The AE is made to cycle off and on so no damage will be done

To answer the original question...not long enough!;)

Seriously...my M55 uses approx. 3.5-4lbs/hr on medium (3 of 5). If I run it on medium non-stop I get about 10-11hrs out of a bag. But, I have never needed to run it that hard.

I am wondering what will happen if the stove runs out of pellets? Will it simply shutdown with an error code or would I be risking damaging it? I have a Mt Vernon AE--1st year and it is running on Sunflower seed mode, HIGH (awesome heat). I top it off before going to bed, but it is is super cold it may run all night. Oh as for pellets I am using Power Pellets.
Most will just shut down, and turn off. If you do't have outside air installed, you might get a little smoke.
Outside air and some vertical component to the exhaust venting are good prevention from getting smoke when the stove runs out of pellets, or for loss of power.

From my understanding you shouldn't get smoke in the house from running out of pellets . you still have power to the unit so all the fans should continue to run until the stove has reached cool down. The only time u might get smoke in the house is with loss of power when the fan cannot operate.

Well actually while you shouldn't get any smoke out when a stove runs out of pellets and shuts down there is a way it can happen but it depends upon your venting, the particular stove model, and other things that may be running in your house, etc....

with an OAK, you shouldn't ever.

without one, once the vac is lost, the remaning smoke can sort of back feed out the intake pipe, and that's what you end up smelling.
at least that's been my experience, which may be completely wrong :X

Well actually while you shouldn't get any smoke out when a stove runs out of pellets and shuts down there is a way it can happen but it depends upon your venting, the particular stove model, and other things that may be running in your house, etc....
Ah. Thank you Smokey. Still learning something new!

I think it depends on your stove's exhaust piping. My stove has eight feet of 3" stove pipe that runs vertically from the back of the stove, through a clean out tee, right through the roof. I have no OAK.

I never smell smoke inside the house, from the pellet stove.

Dave

To answer the original question, a bag will last until you have used up the 350,000 btu's approx. in a bag. That's the bottom line. It all depends on your situation and what you are trying to heat. Figure how many btu's of your original heat source you use to stay comfortable and multiply by the efficiency of your original heat source.

So far the temps here in NNY have been downright cool for this time of year. I'm heating 2 floors and the basement, about 2800 sq. ft. and using 2 1/2 bags per day. We've had many nights with temperatures in the low teens.

For the past week we've seen temps around 30F at night and warming up to the 40's during the day. This wknd should reach near 50. However my last bag lasted over 25hrs at which time I went to bed. My hopper holds 40lbs and I was usign DryCreek pellets in the englander - on heat-blower running a constant 1-1 and 3-2-1 on the bottom config. This is the first time I've gone anywhere near over 24hrs thx to reading posts about the LFF 3-2-1 setting.

i have a splitlevel ranch and keep my pellet stove one 1-5 depending and i burn a bag 12-20 hrs. just a guess but is pretty close. it doesnt really ever grt my house up to temp but it basically prevents my oil furnance from ever kicking on 70% of thetime. this is just a SWAG. (sophisticated wild a$$ guess)

Depends on outside air temp, sometimes a week, other times 1 day.

Running my Harman XXV on room temp set at 70 degrees I average about two bags a day.

Shy of a bag currently, waiting for some cold weather to keep the stove on to get my slab up to heat. First real cold to hit here this Sunday.

Normal use for the stove is a bag in 20 hours on the lowest heat range. And with daytime outside temps in the 30s and 40s, we got cooked out even with the windows and door open.

Since the thermostat she used 3 bags in 2 weeks. Set to 70s in the evening and day when she is there, 60s at night and when gone during the day. Don't know what she used this past week but has to be something similar.

Really curious to see the use when real winter arrives.

Another thing to add to this topic is whether or not people use their stove as a supplement or straight up exclusive heat source?

Not sure if people mentioned this before?

Myself ,i use it exclusively (the only heat source) & use about 1-2 bags avg. a day

Reactions: sinnian
Status
Not open for further replies.