1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

HOW LONG DOES A BAG OF PELLETS LAST

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by glenc0322, Nov 7, 2012.

1. noremorse63

noremorse63 New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    I have had it in Sunflower mode for weeks now and no issues, just going thru the pellets, but I think the heat is worth it. I will switch to a wood pellet setting and see how long the hopper stay full and if there is that much heat loss.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Loc:
    Sunbury , PA 17801
    Remember -----
    It`s the length and size that make that fire rise--- ;lol
  3. DneprDave

DneprDave Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western WA
    Lately I'm using 1/2 a bag a day. It keeps things around 65 degrees F, I shut the stove down at night.
    When the outside temperatures are in the 30s or lower, I run the stove 24 hours a day and use a bag a day.

Last year was my first year with a pellet stove, I use it to supplement my oil furnace. I used about half the oil I normally used in a year and saved a few hundred dollars in heating costs.

Dave
  4. rona

rona Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    southwestern Minn
    The AE is made to cycle off and on so no damage will be done
  5. flynfrfun

flynfrfun Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    To answer the original question...not long enough!;)

Seriously...my M55 uses approx. 3.5-4lbs/hr on medium (3 of 5). If I run it on medium non-stop I get about 10-11hrs out of a bag. But, I have never needed to run it that hard.
  6. thedak

thedak Member

Loc:
    Smoke em if u got em'
    Harman XXV - Stove Temp 1

18-19 hours
  7. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Most will just shut down, and turn off. If you do't have outside air installed, you might get a little smoke.
    Outside air and some vertical component to the exhaust venting are good prevention from getting smoke when the stove runs out of pellets, or for loss of power.
  8. Melissa220

Melissa220 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ME
    From my understanding you shouldn't get smoke in the house from running out of pellets . you still have power to the unit so all the fans should continue to run until the stove has reached cool down. The only time u might get smoke in the house is with loss of power when the fan cannot operate.
    sinnian, The Ds and will711 like this.
  9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Well actually while you shouldn't get any smoke out when a stove runs out of pellets and shuts down there is a way it can happen but it depends upon your venting, the particular stove model, and other things that may be running in your house, etc....
  10. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    with an OAK, you shouldn't ever.

without one, once the vac is lost, the remaning smoke can sort of back feed out the intake pipe, and that's what you end up smelling.
    at least that's been my experience, which may be completely wrong :X
  11. Melissa220

Melissa220 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ME
    Ah. Thank you Smokey. Still learning something new!
  12. DneprDave

DneprDave Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western WA
    I think it depends on your stove's exhaust piping. My stove has eight feet of 3" stove pipe that runs vertically from the back of the stove, through a clean out tee, right through the roof. I have no OAK.

I never smell smoke inside the house, from the pellet stove.

Dave
  13. valentine92

valentine92 Member

Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    one bag of Hammer Hot Ones will last approx 18-20 Stove Temp 1 in our Harman Accentra FS
  14. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Loc:
    Sunbury , PA 17801

You will wakeup freezing your butt off .
    briansol and DneprDave like this.
  15. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    To answer the original question, a bag will last until you have used up the 350,000 btu's approx. in a bag. That's the bottom line. It all depends on your situation and what you are trying to heat. Figure how many btu's of your original heat source you use to stay comfortable and multiply by the efficiency of your original heat source.
  16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Or whatever is not under the covers.
    tjnamtiw likes this.
  17. SmokeEater

SmokeEater Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern NY
    So far the temps here in NNY have been downright cool for this time of year. I'm heating 2 floors and the basement, about 2800 sq. ft. and using 2 1/2 bags per day. We've had many nights with temperatures in the low teens.
  18. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    For the past week we've seen temps around 30F at night and warming up to the 40's during the day. This wknd should reach near 50. However my last bag lasted over 25hrs at which time I went to bed. My hopper holds 40lbs and I was usign DryCreek pellets in the englander - on heat-blower running a constant 1-1 and 3-2-1 on the bottom config. This is the first time I've gone anywhere near over 24hrs thx to reading posts about the LFF 3-2-1 setting.
  19. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    i have a splitlevel ranch and keep my pellet stove one 1-5 depending and i burn a bag 12-20 hrs. just a guess but is pretty close. it doesnt really ever grt my house up to temp but it basically prevents my oil furnance from ever kicking on 70% of thetime. this is just a SWAG. (sophisticated wild a$$ guess)
  20. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    Depends on outside air temp, sometimes a week, other times 1 day.
  21. chuckster

chuckster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    Running my Harman XXV on room temp set at 70 degrees I average about two bags a day.
  22. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Shy of a bag currently, waiting for some cold weather to keep the stove on to get my slab up to heat. First real cold to hit here this Sunday.
  23. tlc1976

tlc1976 New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Normal use for the stove is a bag in 20 hours on the lowest heat range. And with daytime outside temps in the 30s and 40s, we got cooked out even with the windows and door open.

Since the thermostat she used 3 bags in 2 weeks. Set to 70s in the evening and day when she is there, 60s at night and when gone during the day. Don't know what she used this past week but has to be something similar.

Really curious to see the use when real winter arrives.
  24. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Loc:
    Sunbury , PA 17801
    Another thing to add to this topic is whether or not people use their stove as a supplement or straight up exclusive heat source?

Not sure if people mentioned this before?

Myself ,i use it exclusively (the only heat source) & use about 1-2 bags avg. a day
    sinnian likes this.