How long does fuzzy green moss last on split wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
We bought some wood recently from a friend of a friend who was hard up and hasn't been paid in a while.
They assured us it was seasoned and "ready to burn" and had been seasoned two years. I just stacked it and it's not going to be ready for at least a year, BIG and odd-shaped splits, heavy as all get out, Oak.
The bark is still solidly on all of it and there is bright green velvety moss on a bunch of it. THis stuff must have been split last week!
I figure the tree must have fallen down two years ago and that's how they can claim it was seasoned two years?!
I'm gonna have to see how long it takes the moss to come off it.

Moss generally grows where it is wet and shaded. So it was probably stacked in the woods and I am afraid to say its most likely still wet even if it was cut two years ago. It would be best to check with a moisture meter to see where its at.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Moss generally grows where it is wet and shaded. So it was probably stacked in the woods and I am afraid to say its most likely still wet even if it was cut two years ago. It would be best to check with a moisture meter to see where its at.

Billy
I agree Billy, sounds like it never got dried out. If the moss is green and healthy, it is damp.

Yeah this stuff is well over 30 percent. It's now in the "next year" piles but we'll be lucky if it's ready next year.

should be dried up and falling off by August.

I highly doubt that will be ready to burn next year! Give it 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.