how long does it take most to cut a years wood supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

20cordayear

Sep 28, 2011
united states
I cut about 20 full cord of wood this year so far that's for me and the wifes grandpa and parents I have about 80 hours in to it that's from felling the tree to hauling it out of the woods to bucking the logs and splitting and stacking with the help of my brother in-law I run with a husky 460 rancher and a husky 340 and a 35 ton husky splitter im the only one that cuts he only loads and splits im trying to see if this is pretty efficient or do I need to change methods.

Tools husky 460 husky 340 huske 35 ton splitter Polaris 550 sportsmen old boat trailer axes and mauls 2500 chevy durmax and six chains for each saw

That's pretty impressive. You could probably step it up a notch if you replaced that Duramax with a Cummins ;)

1 cord Felled, Drug out of woods, Trimmed and Bucked, Split, and stacked in 4 hrs per Cord... Pretty good in my book. 80 hrs and 20 cord is awesome. Got any pics???

1 full cord all by myself, felled, cut, split by hand with my 6# maul, hauled to the house, and stacked in under 6 hours. Normally I like to take it easy though, with breaks to take a few pictures, so a cord leisurely takes me 8 hours.

quads said:
1 full cord all by myself, felled, cut, split by hand with my 6# maul, hauled to the house, and stacked in under 6 hours. Normally I like to take it easy though, with breaks to take a few pictures, so a cord leisurely takes me 8 hours.

That's about the same for me too,Quads. 20 yrs ago Dad & I shared the work pretty much 50/50,but a few yrs later he gave it up.It's 99% all my thing now.He'll be 82 next month & has no business working in the woods now,no matter how much he'd like to.Sometimes he'll sharpen a chain for me,bring me out a drink or pick up a few smaller sticks,thats pretty much it though.

Well, now I know what I'm doing wrong. I stop for punctuation breaks.

From stump to stack if your doing a cord per 4 hrs, your kicking butt. I used-ta-could, but refuse to do it now. I am at about 6 hrs per cord (or possibly 8, depending on "if beer was involved") and I find that to be a comfortable pace. Of course, I am only producing about 1/4 (5 cords) of what you are doing, so I really ain't in no hurry.

Pic's or it didnt happen?

Welcome to the forum 20cordayear.

You have some nice equipment and evidently some nice wood. What type of wood are you cutting and how far are you hauling it?

It doesn't really matter to most folks how long it takes to process a cord of wood. Naturally, in a person's youth and somewhere into middle age they will do much more per day and per hour than they will in later years. Also, it depends upon equipment, they type of wood and trees you have, hauling, splitting and stacking. Just too many factors there to say someone should be able to cut x cord per day or hour or whatever. I do all the cutting in the winter months and sometimes the snow slows things down but most of the time the body slows me down. The splitting comes right after snow melt. Stacking happens as soon as the splitting is done. I do not keep track of the time it takes nor will I in the future. I cut on our own place and use the atv and trailer for hauling the wood out. It is a small trailer and sometimes I may cut 5 trailer loads in a day. Other days I may cut 2 or 3. Many times it is just 1 and there have been a few times when I couldn't even cut a full trailer load. When splitting, I may work a couple hours at a time or more or less. Same goes for the stacking.

One way that I found to really quicken up the process is to split the wood much larger. I only split to the size that I can grab with one hand now. Why waste time chopping it into smaller pieces when I'll be doing that as I burn it anyway.

The slowest part for me has always been stacking. That will be another place where I improve efficiency someday with a woodshed with tall stacks that are up against the walls. So no time wasted on the ends.

My latest 1/2 cord took about a year and a half.

BrotherBart said:

add some George Strait tunes and that 1/2 cord will only take about a year I bet... ;-)

I may not be the fastest, but to me its not worth it. I work usually about 30 minutes to about 1 1/2 hr on it at a time, or until my back hurts. I'm far enough head that I can work on it a little at a time. In fact I'm now trying to help my neighbor get some wood rounded for next year.

GAMMA RAY said:
BrotherBart said:

add some George Strait tunes and that 1/2 cord will only take about a year I bet... ;-)

That would be the tune where he sings "Too many years and too many beers have just about washed me up.".

I don't know how long it takes me to c/s/s a years worth of wood (3+ cord). To clarify, I don't cut down trees but I do a fair amount of cutting rounds down to size from my scrounges.

All I can say is I am almost 3 yrs. ahead right now, only been doing this for 2+ yrs. so that makes me, now:

2+ yrs. older

and

2+ yrs. slower. :)

Social Security is looming very near for me. Working with wood 3 days in a row I am normally physically shot for the next week or longer. :)

Shari

If you have spent 80 man-hours for 20 cords, that seems very good. If there were two or three of you, each spending 80 hours, that seems more like an average pace for amateur wood cutting.

It took me from mid March to mid September to scrounge, cut, split, and stack about 5 cords this year, or about 1 1/4 year's worth. I did a whole bunch of other stuff in that time too.

20cordayear, that is good time for that much wood. Nice work man. I spent some time on vacation last spring and fell, blocked, hauled, split, and stacked a little over 3 full cord of ash, cut to 23" lengths. The hauling was a very short distance, less than 1/2 mile. I took my time and mostly worked in the morning from 8-noon. I took my time. I was on vacation, afternoons and evenings were for relaxing with the wife and kids. (Okay, I tipped a few beers back on those nights too.) So I would estimate I had about 20 hours into that 3 full cord. (I will use about 6-7 full cord for the year.) I usually work by myself, but I always remind anyone working with me to set a good, slow pace when you are using a chainsaw. The more fatigued or tired your body gets the better chance of having an accident with the saw. Don't want to see that happen to anyone. You have some serious points built up with the family for cutting all that wood. Good job.

20 cord...You are a fast worker from beginning to end. You are also very generous to spend your time doing for others as well.

I buck tree length and split (single wedge) approx. 8 cord per year that is split between 2 people. Takes me 2 days to buck and a full 6 day week to split and stack.

I am mostly cutting dead ash so don't have to many branches to clean up and in the woods so not so much clean up I don't have very long hauls at all

I cut 2 cord in the Fall and 2 cord in the Spring and it takes me a long time. I would guess it takes 12+ hours to C,S & S a cord, but I love doing it and I love to be out in the woods.

I couldn't say - for the past 3 years, I just work up wood as it comes available. I'd guess 8 h per cord - I like to take my time and enjoy the process - I'm in no rush. Especially stacking - I wait for a nice cool day, put on some great tunes, and take frequent Molson Canadian breaks - love it! Cheers!

Highbeam said:
One way that I found to really quicken up the process is to split the wood much larger. I only split to the size that I can grab with one hand now. Why waste time chopping it into smaller pieces when I'll be doing that as I burn it anyway.

The slowest part for me has always been stacking. That will be another place where I improve efficiency someday with a woodshed with tall stacks that are up against the walls. So no time wasted on the ends.

+1 Two splits fill my stove. Less splitting and they burn slower. I never timed any of the droping, bucking, haulin, splittin, stackin, just enjoyed the fresh air, hard work and getting back to a simpler way of life. Not to mention we might even save a few bucks.

Tom

takes me all winter weekend work to do 20-30 face cord. I do a lot of thining for my sugar bush and surgical moves to remove trees without damaging good sap producers. I cut a lot of pine which takes forever debranch. I should pick up my pace i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.