How long does it take you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did 2 cord in 6 hours last week. Had to carry it about 25 feet to the stacks.

By my self stacking couple weeks. To get it ready for someone else to stack cord every hour to hour and a half.

Timed myself yesterday and bucked, hand split and stacked 1 cord (75% hickory/25% ash) in just under 4 hours, but it was all nice straight and clear wood. I felt it this morning.

NorthCountryWood said:
Timed myself yesterday and bucked, hand split and stacked 1 cord (75% hickory/25% ash) in just under 4 hours, but it was all nice straight and clear wood. I felt it this morning.

Nice straight clear wood makes a huge difference in the time it takes. If the rounds will stand on their own and split in a swing or two, it goes fast. Rounds with the ends at bad angles, rounds that take several swings, and stringy wood are an entirely different story. I imagine stringy wood slows you down a lot even if you are using a splitter.

Wood Duck said:
NorthCountryWood said:

Nice straight clear wood makes a huge difference in the time it takes. If the rounds will stand on their own and split in a swing or two, it goes fast. Rounds with the ends at bad angles, rounds that take several swings, and stringy wood are an entirely different story. I imagine stringy wood slows you down a lot even if you are using a splitter.

Agreed. Wish I had more hickory. Heavy as hell, but splits so nice.

wood-fan-atic said:
I do about 1/2 a cord at a time. This includes putting several rounds on a hand truck, and wheeling them in the yard (about 30'), and dumping about 15 of them next to the splitter. I'll split them - then stack them in the racks...get a beverage...a little break so my wife can tell me that I'm trying to do too much :shut: ....then get another pile of rounds , and split and stack them. All together-- probably an hour and a half for a 1/2 cord...split and stacked....including breaks.

My dad helps me with a lot of the splitting. Not so much the stacking. Anyway, he was up here during the week and he brought my mom to watch my kids while he and I cranked out some wood. My mom was continually telling us to take it easy and be careful. Thing is, this is how we have worked for as long as I can remember. My mom just wasn't around. My dad kept telling her "I'm glad you never came to work with us." Yeah, then she might know what we are talking about when we joke around with my dad about how hard he pushed us. Thing is, we push him just as hard right now.

Regarding the OP's initial question, I have no clue how long it takes me or me and my dad to split and stack a cord of wood. I have never really stacked the wood at the same time I have split it and I have never really timed myself. Then, there is a huge difference between splitting oak and splitting gum. Then, it depends on how far away the stacking is to be done from the wood pile of splits. If I start to think about all this, I might stop cutting, splitting, and stacking wood and just go with natural gas. If it takes more than 3 hours to process a cord, then that is way too long for me.

fabsroman said:
If it takes more than 3 hours to process a cord, then that is way too long for me.

Not me, I'm happy with that. Even if it takes me 3 hours to get the wood that it takes me 3 hours to split and stack, that is a currently untaxable $25/hour doing something I enjoy. Apples to apples with buying, you would have to take the stacking time out of that analysis too.

If I'm stacking in the summer, I often wait until the cool of the evening, and take advantage of that subarctic midnight sun to split and stack. So I suppose one could say that it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.