how long for black cherry tree to season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltfever

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Had a large wild black cherry tree to fall next to the house early yesterday morning in all the hard wind. Very old tree about 50 feet tall. I am planning on cutting into rounds today and splitting this week-end. I have 4 cord mixture of ash, hickory and locust that I cut back in November. My question is will this Black cherry season enough for 2011/2012 winter ? I going to single roll stack it out in the open all year.

Attachments

• IMG_3910.jpg
    IMG_3910.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 610
Your title is a bit misleading... but I'll bite.

Yes, black cherry seasons very fast. If you can get it split soon it should be great for 11/12 season.

There's a good chance if you get it bucked and split now and split it on the smaller side and do a single roll to expose it to as much wind possible you will be able to use it this year . . . may not be ideal, but I'm guessing it will burn OK . . .

Thought you were going to ask if it's a good idea to stack your firewood next to the house. (judging by your subject line.)

I would say get after it, split smallish, give it all the exposure you can. Should be good to go as part of your mix for next winter.

Especially if the part of Tenn you live in gets hot and some full sun and a breeze. You'll be good this year with it and it'll be good wood. Get it split and stacked !

I would not hesitate to burn it next winter if you get it split and stacked ASAP. Cherry does not have a lot of moisture and gives it up rather quickly.

Yup, cherry is rather fast to dry. Just don't get cocky & put off splitting it & you'll be fine.

Ok thats all I need to know. I got the brush in a pile and wood cut into rounds. At the base of the tree it was 37 inch across. I know its just talk until you can prove with pictures but I am new to the forum and have not figured out how to make my pictures small enough to be posted.

update picture

Attachments

• IMG_3914-1.jpg
    IMG_3914-1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 808
Yard score. Nothing better. Worst case burn the cherry last. It will be ready.

Ummm. That does not look like a cherry tree.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ummm. That does not look like a cherry tree.

Post a picture of some twigs and leaves and some closer pictures of the bark and cut face of the wood, and then we'll know for sure.

Ok here are more pictures of what I thought was a wild black cherry tree. What do you think ?

Attachments

• IMG_3918-1.jpg
    IMG_3918-1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_3915-1.jpg
    IMG_3915-1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,129
  • IMG_3916-1.jpg
    IMG_3916-1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 811
I'm calling it cherry till proven wrong.

Yup. Those pictures look like cherry. This just goes to show how difficult it can be identifying wood using only pictures.

Give them bucked pieces a sniff . . . you'll know for sure if it's cherry then. ;)

For the record . . . cherry . . . based on the second sets of pics of the leafs and wood.

Definitely Black Cherry.Great stuff in the stove & even better in the smoker underneath some ribs,brisket,or kielbasa ;-) :coolsmile: Smells great whether you're burning it,splitting it or sawing/shaping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.