How Long for Seasoning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I will be splitting this starting next week, how long will it take it to season? I think both trees are Quaking Aspen and both were down and dead.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1041.jpg
    100_1041.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 680
  • 100_1044.jpg
    100_1044.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 685
With all the wood you have does it matter? Put it it at the end of the line and burn it when its time comes....

Got Wood said:
With all the wood you have does it matter? Put it it at the end of the line and burn it when its time comes....

Just wondering, a neighbor wanted some softwood ( about 2 face cord) and I told him I didn't think it was going to be ready for this year.

zap

Split it small, maybe ready mid winter? Definitely burn it next winter, no point in wasting space on less than ideal firewood for longer than that.

Zap it will rot before you can get to it! lol

Looks like what's known as popple around here. I think maybe they mean poplar, but who knows.
Anyway, I had some last year that dried in a few months. REAL wet when I cut it. Lost of fluffy ash, but not too bad if you want heat.
Not as bad as the dreaded PINE! N/M, I burn that too. %-P

PapaDave said:
Looks like what's known as popple around here. I think maybe they mean poplar, but who knows.
Anyway, I had some last year that dried in a few months. REAL wet when I cut it. Lost of fluffy ash, but not too bad if you want heat.
Not as bad as the dreaded PINE! N/M, I burn that too. %-P

Same here . . . aspen = poplar = popple.

Sometimes I think folks in Michigan are somehow related to folks here in Maine since they seem to have the same description of things . . . well that and we both claim Paul Bunyan as our own folk hero. ;)

Zap, both were down and both were dead. How was the sap when you cut? You can tell by that how long it will take. A SWAG, 3-4 months might do the trick. Maybe longer. It just depends on how much sap is still in the wood.

why is Paul Bunyan sitting on a toilet (and looking like he's really-a-pushin)?

Danno77 said:
why is Paul Bunyan sitting on a toilet (and looking like he's really-a-pushin)?

That's not Paul Bunyan, it's QUADS outside the barn with nellie!

zap

Hi Zap...I cut wood from early spring when the snow melts...until snow time in the fall. I cut soft and hard wood...split it...and haul it to my own stacking area and my sons...five to seven cords apiece. I burn it when it's cold nuff to do it...usually burn white pine in spring and fall...and the hard wood when it decides to really get cold...:) I have a smoke dragon in my basement as does my son. This years I was able to buy fifteen cords of mixed hard wood in log length at a fair price so that saved me alot of time as I didn't need to harvest from my 40 acre wood lot. Most folks here in Maine harvest in spring and fall and burn it that winter. Oldmainer

Heck, most folks it seems cut in the fall and winter and burn right away. Some never learn.

SolarAndWood said:
Split it small, maybe ready mid winter? Definitely burn it next winter, no point in wasting space on less than ideal firewood for longer than that.

Solar I split some aspen today and it read 38 percent on the moisture meter on the outside.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.