How Long Have You Been Heating With Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct. 1999, seem to remember one brand or pellet (energex) at $1.10 a bag>>

I remember BioHeat for about $.96 a bag. I think we bought Energex for $75/ton in the spring of 2000. Because we bought our stove late in the season we paid $125 for our first ton and hot something or other from a stove shop was like $175. Don't remember what I paid for the old stove chow. I wished I kept a log of the brands and prices. Sure would be fun to look back to those days! ;)

Lit it up on 02 January 2012.

Starting 5th season next month...

Noobie here. This will be my 2nd season coming up.

This is our second season and we couldn't be happier. Considering we saved money the first year even with the purchase and install costs & pellets vs oil. Plus we were toasty warm :)

First stove in October of '08 to lessen the oil bill, second stove in March of last year to boot the oil man for good!

First pellet fire, September 08. Burned wood for several years. Then oil, but too expensive when oil prices jacked up, and I went to being mostly retired. We in New England need together off the oil kick. Greed and crazy greenies have too much influence in the oil market.

Headed into my eighth season and love it.

January 17 2012. best thing we ever bought.

October 2008

Installed my M55 insert in february 2011. It replaced Vermont Castings wood stove.

We are so happy with the pellet stove heat that we added a second stove on the second floor.

Bought the first pellet stove in 1992
Got started because I found that hazellnut shells worked well, and we have them available readily.
Built a new home in 93 and installed an older Earthstove pellet stove plus a Quadrafire 1000
The quad likes pellets only.

Yanked the Earthstove out in 09 and installed 2 Whitfields (both like shells)

Nut shells are a way of life around here, for sure.

Gotta love them pellet stoves

Snowy

First pellet burn Fall 2009!

Can some of you share what(# of tons or bags) you put through your stoves per season?Cost vs your old heating fuel Ect. Also i have guy close to me who sells corn stoves as well ,anyone use one of theses?

Since Feb 10 ..

Can some of you share what(# of tons or bags) you put through your stoves per season?Cost vs your old heatring fuel Ect. Also i have guy close to me who sells corn stoves as well ,anyone use one of theses?

Pellets only, I used 3.5-4.5 ton a year (under $1,000 a year with Pellets). Before that, I was on the "Pain" at around $3,600-$3,800 a year. Last year, I added the 30-NC and dropped pellet consumption to 2 tons (or just under $400).

Yeah, you gotta buy pellets. But you dont have to season them and keep several yrs worth (some of us do though ;)) Therr are no bugs, no bark, dirt, and the best part is the automation. They run just like your furnace and can go for days without reloading (depending on hopper size and need for heat).

If I had only one choice. Pellets would be it. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.