How long have you been using a pellet stove for heat? POLL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many years have you been using a pellet stove for heat?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just thought it would be interesting to see how long everyone has been a "pellethead" ...I bet there will be a lot of Newbies (less than a year, like me....LOL).

Installed mine Dec of 2004. Best investment I have made. House is warmer and heating costs are down.

Installed mine Oct 2008. Just finished burning my first ton ($250) and my oil use has been greatly reduced. Looks like my heating costs will be down dramatically and I should have full payback next season.

Installed our PF100 in Oct. 08. We enjoy the ease of use and not having to rush in the morning to feed a wood burner. The wife likes not having to keep the fires burning. Plus the mess from having wood in the basement.

Installed Nov 4,2008.

Oh yeah, burned just over a ton. Cleaned about 4 or 5 times.

Feb '07 when it was cheaper to buy pellets but now oil is cheaper so I'm screwed..atleast for now .....I hope..fingers crossed praying to the housing gods to make economy better so people buy more homes, resulting in lots and lots of sawdust..PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
:)

We just got a used US Stove 6039 and put it in at the end of November 2008. We love not having to be dependent on propane for heat.

Installed mine november 2005. Stove has eaten approx.
12 tons since new. Pleased as punch that I went the pellet route!

Installed December 08. Love my XXV, my house has been warmer than it has ever been. I use to keep my house at 65 with oil now it's between 70 and 75 and it's not costing me a fortune. Even if oil stays low and pellet prices stay in the mid to high 200's I will not go back to oil.

Installed December 2007 and am so happy every time I see the propane truck in my neighbors driveways!

enviro ef 3 installed nov 2006 in basement 2 ceiling fan upstairs . great alternative to wood stove which wife didnt want.we have oil fired water heater got oil march 2008 still have a little under 1/2Tank :)

First season with a pellet stove. Self installed in Oct 2008. Only used 120 gallons of fuel oil this season. Last year I would use that much per month for heat and DHO. Just finished my second ton of pellets. Bought 4 ton @ $ 255.

The results sort look as I expected...a lot of us first season people. I say hats off to those who have been burning pellets for many years. It looks as though there are few folks who could be considered pioneers of the insdustry (wow, 10 years or more). :ahhh:

I have been burning strictly pellets since the 1997-98 heating season. My First batch of pellets was around $2.00 a bag. Heck most of the places looked at you funny when I asked for pellets. We even burned some horse bedding(after screening) on the warmer days, So we wouldn't need to burn wood. Could you imagine $2.00 a bag prices today?? The stoves would sell like hotcakes!

I bought a used Quadrafire(1994) and still have it as a back up. I still think it is a better stove that my bigE, But just so old I don't trust it.
Funny how a 48,000 BTU stove will dust a so called 55,000 BTU stove. Anyway, I might have to find something else to burn if the prices don't come down some. I'll wait to see what the spring prebuy prices are. Might have to go multifuel or back to wood!

But I do like the pellets- Much neater than wood. And I will miss tinkering with the stove for sure!

jay

This is my first year with my Enviro and we are very happy with the reults. STILL paying 3.57/G for propane.. . . . . just not using it as much.

Hi All! Been burning my yankee bay insert for 4 winters now. Been the best investment iv'e
made in my drafty log cabin. Keeps it much warmer the my little boiler.

I've been involved with pellets since about 1991. My parents installed one of the first whitfield stoves available in our rec room growing up. That stove lasted through 4 moves and as of 2004 was still in operation when they sold their house and the buyer wanted to keep it. I bought my first, a early 90's version of an Austroflamm integra when I bought my first house in 2005. Went to the englander just over 2 yrs ago. Could not be happier with the heat! We now have nearly everyone in my family on both sides heating with pellet(my inlaws and wifes grandmother installed this year)

Installed my used Austroflamm in 2000. Has been my primary source of heat for the last 8 years. Pellets were 120.00 per ton the first couple of years I had the stove running. You had to go to a stove shop to find them.

I picked "less than 1" because I've never owned a pellet stove. I do like to hear these sort of summary statements and corresponding years of experience though. Right now we have a burn ban which makes even pellet stoves illegal in addition to my wood stove. I was planning on a second wood stove in an addition to my home but I like the stealth burn of a pellet burner. I am looking at the multifuel route though just due to options.

This is our first year and are loving the heat!!
Will be finishing up the 2nd ton shortly.
The stove will reduce our oil consumption this year from 900 gal to about 300-325 gal
and I am warmer.
OPEC found out what our breaking point was!
Oil for backup!!

Great Forum!!
Thanks to everyone for the help!

just over a year now and love it...I have burned approx. 4 tons total in it now.

Installed mine November 2007, burned ~ 4 tons total (2 Tons Corn / 2 Tons Pellets) I found mixing the corn and wood pellets provide the best result with my stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.