how long is your wood-garn owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCaldwell

Minister of Fire
Sometimes the obvious is overlooked, for about a month my secondary burn temp has been 1450/1550 range, with a correspondingly low flue temp, basically a anemic output. The wood mc was good, the hx tubes were just cleaned, I changed the 6 year old type k in the secondary burn chamber, I even changed the secondary burn chamber refractory. Still the same low output! Obviously this was not good as winter is here. As a person of habit, wood weighing and placement in the burn chamber pretty much stay the same, 80lbs twice a day and about 6 inches off the air collar. Unfortunately a lot of this years wood is about 16'' long, leaving about 18'' from the end of the wood to the edge of the secondary burn chamber. With not much else to try, I moved the 80lbs closer to the secondary burn chamber, next firing secondary burn temps jumped 200-250 deg.
In a garn with a long burn chamber if your wood is too short, make sure it is placed towards the back.

Reactions: TCaldwell
Anything I split is 24" as that's all my splitter will do, limb wood 28".

Status
Not open for further replies.