How Long Season - Cedar Splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
Got a huge trailer load of free cedar. I'm willing to burn just about anything. Figured the cedar would be great for starting fires. Or for rejuvinating them during reload, since cedar burns very hot and very fast.

So, asking all you wood experts here, how long would you recommend drying cedar?

6-12 months if split smaller and top covered

Dries super fast and burns the same.

Yep. Split it up and you will have yourself some good BTUs for quick starts before you know it. It should burn great by Feb.

Thanks for the posts. I thought they would dry quickly. I picked up pallets and cut out the boards so I have some dry stuff for fire starts this year. I have two huge trailer loads of cedar for next years starts and fire refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.