How long should a gasket last

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
What is the life span of a normal gasket on an insert/stove? What would ruin one and what are the signs that they need to be changed? Thanks!

Longevity varies greatly.

If it fails the dollar bill test or if it is falling apart, it should be replaced.

I would look and see what your manual says for changing it and make sure to buy a good quality tight woven gasket for the stove. They tend to last longer and seal much better in my experience. You will usually know its time to adjust or replace if the stove is getting hard to control and the secondary is raging away no matter the air setting. You will have to determine for your self if it is time to replace by doing the dollar bill test and checking to see how the gasket looks as BB said.

Pete

The dollar bill test may only indicate that a latch adjustment is required. If it fails on the hinge side, or is brittle/ crumbling as stated above, then replace.

Gabe

I am not claiming to be a pro but I just did my first gasket replacement. It was 3 seasons old and I had been adjusting the door and doing the dollar bill test until the adjustment was maxed out. It was easy to see it needed adjustment when the air control did not respond as well as it should.

I bought the appropriate rope and glue. Pulled out the old rope, cleaned the channel with a flat screwdriver followed with a Dremel tool. I got that channel spotless, spread a even layer of glue, layed in the gasket. It works perfect, I am pleased with my first attempt. It was not that hard.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
We're into our sixth season with the Fireview and doing fine. Our previous stove had the gaskets replaced somewhere between 15-20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.