How Long to Dry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptoneleg

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2010
Virginia
Stacking cow chips in India to Dry I can see it now You have got to let that $hit set for at least 3 yrs.

Enviromental-Friendly alternative to Firewood

Attachments

• cowshit.jpg
    cowshit.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 452
:lol: LMAO :lol:

I've heard if you feed the animals hot peppers you'll get a great secondary burn :shut:

pen

Way back when local Indian tribes in the Yucatan would heap up big mounds of native dried Habanero chiles,wait for the Spanish conquistadors to appear & light them off when the wind was just right....

Considered one of the first forms of chemical warfare. :vampire:

HOLY SH!T, I wonder how much more there is off camera?

pen said:
I've heard if you feed the animals hot peppers you'll get a great secondary burn :shut:

pen
yup, your right. I've had second-degree burns off of them peps.

I've been to New Delhi India, and you can smell the smoke before the wheels of the jet have touched down. Very smokey and polluted. I guess this is why? I visited Ghandi's grave and it's right beside a power plant that beltches awful fumes - you can barely stand it (eyes burning).

A Very impressive picture. Those cow patty pies are formed perfectly...... that job must really suck, but it's money in the bank -as I'm guessing they don't give them away. We have wood piles - they have poop piles. I'd pack poop pies if the price was right.

Are the stacks better left covered or uncovered? Is a regular stack better than a Holz Hausen? Which species of cow craps better BTUs?

Are they paid by the hour or by the "cow pie" ?
The "Down wind" land is cheap.
Stacked in face cords?
How did they get all the cows to crap in the pile in the middle ?
Can the "field of pies" be seen from space?
Nuff :)

Sisu said:
Are the stacks better left covered or uncovered? Is a regular stack better than a Holz Hausen? Which species of cow craps better BTUs?

I think the Longhorn cowchip has the most BTUs but takes 3 years to dry.

I can just imagine the flies ...lickin their chops.....lol.......I gotta go puke now. :sick:

OK, so...getting a glimpse into how humans in other parts of the world go about trying the best they can to meet their energy needs brings nothing but inane comments and ridicule. Personally, I admire their resourcefulness. Rick

Yeah, that's what happens when you're born in the wrong place...

fossil said:
OK, so...getting a glimpse into how humans in other parts of the world go about trying the best they can to meet their energy needs brings nothing but inane comments and ridicule. Personally, I admire their resourcefulness. Rick

Actually the article which I do not have the knowlege to post , was short but said the chips were a lot more enviromental-friendlier than wood. It was on MSN website this morning.

In the old westerns they were allways burning Buffalo Chips.

Hubby spent some time in Korea a 'few' years ago. The general populous homes were on stilts where he was. "Pies" were burned under the homes for heat / no chimney's. Lots of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning.... Nary a tree to be found in this Korean area so they made do with what they had.

fossil said:

One of my last jobs as a Project Superintendent was to install a system that actually injected human waste pellets into a boiler that was supposed to be alot Greener than coal, and tht jobsite was at a large cement plant in Union Bridge, Maryland. I was there when the first trucks rolled in did ask afew questions like what was the cost = only the trucking was the answer. I was real glad their were no leaks or bad welds.

Notice they are stacked vertically. But can you imagine the domino effect?!

In the old west indeed cow chips and buffalo chips were stored and saved for winter burning. When you live in an area where there are no or very few trees, you make do sometimes with what you have. Many moons ago they could not even afford to buy charcoal or coal so cow chips won. Probably drafty houses were quite normal too and maybe that was sometimes good.

finally something harder to stack than firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.