How long to season Mulberry? Anybody burn it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMule

Nov 11, 2013
Maryland
Went to a friend's property that just had two Mulberry's cut down last week and brought home some 18" sections. The one I split was about 12" diameter. Took 3 hits to split it. How long to season this stuff? Wood chart shows it's good stuff.

Good as white oak 1/2 the time..most people say 18-24 monthe c/s/s....i got a little myself...oh the life of a degenerate scrounger...soo much free wood so little time..:cool:

Reactions: D8Chumley
It's a year to a year & a half for me. Definitely one of my favorites to scrounge.
Get it split & stacked before the heat hits & it'll be great for the 2015/16 season.

Got my first couple mulberry trees last summer, split easy and very heavy. Did some extensive internet research and the concensus was at least two years for drying. Very unique wood to work with, even if it was just for firewood.

I burned one after 18 months or so, split small, single stacked in open and covered. Great stuff. Sparks like crazy! Always on the lookout for more

Yep, good stuff. Like osage said, can spark, especially if you poke a coaling split!

Reactions: osagebow
Depends on where you live. Have burned alot of it. Here in central Kansas you can burn it in about a year. However we have anywhere from 30 to 40 days of 100deg. plus days with 30 mph winds.

Looks like year and a half for me. While Maryland get's it's share of heat in the summer, my property is completely wooded. My stacks get sun almost constantly during the winter, but none spring through fall.

...we have anywhere from 30 to 40 days of 100deg. plus days with 30 mph winds.

Reactions: midwestcoast
Great stuff. At least two years seasoning. The longer the better. I had a 15' length that layed up in the woods for ten years. I cut and split it 2 years ago. No bark,and not one bit of rot on it. Primo firewood!

Status
Not open for further replies.