How long to season this wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark_bailey

Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
Alabama
How long to season tupelo gum, sweet gum and wild magnolia tree wood?
These are plentiful in my area but seem to be very wet when cutting them. Would one year do or two?

I've burnt all three after a year, and it was cut in winter.

I got a deal from a guy who had about 3 cords of unsplit wood, I thought most of it was oak and a good bit of it is but alot of it is gum, its hard to split by hand, some of it burns good and some smokes, I think its been cut down for over a year, not sure how long to season it, i've been adding it to the good oak after the fire gets going and it seems to burn ok, another thinmg I did last night was add liquid paraffin to one of the logs and it burnt great, not sure if you are supposed to use paraffin in a wood stove but it burned cleaner then the oak. anybody know anthinhg about liquid paraffin and adding a little to the logs?

Ok, thanks. I will get to chopping em down before spring and they are full of sap and water. I hate a gum tree, now I have a reason to get em down.

Status
Not open for further replies.