How Long to Store Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Hello,
Can anyone give advice on how long a person should keep pellets stored and rotate the old stock out before buying new stock? Is there a time difference also, depending whether the pellets are stored in a dry garage, outside shed or wrapped on an pallet outside?
I'd love to buy more pellets but because last winter was so warm I didn't use much, I must have stock left that is 2-3 years old now. Now I dont want to buy more till I wipe out more of my stock. This is because I bought them from a supplier who delivered so I got a couple of years worth at once. I guess I wanted to take advantage of better price at the time but maybe it led me into wrongdoing?

Pellets have an expiration date and must be turned in to the closest pellet pig in your area for proper disposal! ==c

Seriously, I have personally stored for 4 seasons. No issues if kept dry. Some say they will absorb moisture if kept in a damp environment, But I have only seen them degrade if the pellets get physically wet.

If water gets into the bags and contacts the pellets? Its all bets are off!

Reactions: Defiant
Pellets have an expiration date and must be turned in to the closest pellet pig in your area for proper disposal! ==c

yeah right, like if you STILL have ANY room left in your stash.....:p

Reactions: jtakeman
yeah right, like if you STILL have ANY room left in your stash.....:p

I got room for 2 tons(more if I throw some chit out!)! I haven't bought any except some samples and a few shoulders to keep from using my heaters in the shoulders. ==c

Val,

You have to watch out for us pigs, we even stage raids on pellet stashes, we are sick, err at least jtakeman is.

Val,

You have to watch out for us pigs, we even stage raids on pellet stashes, we are sick, err at least jtakeman is.

Seriously, I have personally stored for 4 seasons. No issues if kept dry. Some say they will absorb moisture if kept in a damp environment, But I have only seen them degrade if the pellets get physically wet.

If water gets into the bags and contacts the pellets? Its all bets are off!
Val bring them to me, I will burn them and return em. Smokey and jtake have both made rightfully true statements.

Reactions: DexterDay
I'll even pick up your expired pellets for free, we're all about service here....

Reactions: jtakeman
Status
Not open for further replies.