How long until wood is considered seasoned???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fraxinus said:
A factor often overlooked is the average humidity level of the particular place in which you're drying your wood. A humid, foggy coastal climate like mine in Maine means wood dries much more slowly than in locations even a few miles inland. If you experience high levels of humidity no matter where you live, it's going to be very difficult to get down to 20% moisture content in less than two years and even that may not be enough. In many ways, kiln dried wood is a very good idea in humid areas. Maine Forest Service recently issued a report which calculated cost vs. increased efficiency for kd wood. According to the report, if you pay around 1.5 times as much for kd wood vs. (so called) seasoned wood you're still ahead of the game. To me, the greater ease and convenience of fire starting in EPA stoves with kd is worth quite a bit, too.
Have to agree with you about regional variance and just weather variance from one year to the next. Last "summer" around here was so wet that by the end of July my seasoned wood was turning green, instead of the other way around!

Status
Not open for further replies.