How long will stacked wood last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
After doing a search I see that some of you such as Backwoods Savage are 6 to 7 years ahead. Is that as far ahead as one should go. At some point I think the wood will start degrading if left outside even with a cover over the top. If we are talking about oak how long is too long?

Keep it off the ground and dry it'll probably outlast us. :) Last season I picked up a handful of elm rounds from my old man that he couldn't split back when he cut it down back in 1987. The logs were stored in his wood rack that has a cover on it and they were still hard as a rock showing no signs of punk.

There was a thread going last year from someone who found a mother lode of wood that was used for some industrial application decades ago. It was in huge stacks outside, in Texas I believe.

rdust nailed it. The key is to keep it off the ground and keep it dry on top. Also stack it where wind will hit the sides of the stack. If the wood is kept in a barn, that is good too but I think I'd still prefer it outdoors if stacked for a long time, say, over 8-10 years. I've read where some claim the wood is too dry but methinks the only way to get wood too dry is to put it into a kiln.

As for the oak, just remember that oak will tend to get a little punk on the outside of the round but don't let that bother you. Too long on the oak might be 50-60 years.

Just look at how long a sleeper will last in the woods. My dad had a tree that was dead and de-barked before we moved in, and 30 years later the tree was still mostly there when he moved out.

Depends to some extent on the prevailing climate. Obviously, the lower the average humidity the better for discouraging rot. As already stated, keeping the wood from direct ground contact is key, regardless of any other factors. Rick

ETA: I've burned firewood that was kept dry after splitting/stacking for more than 20 years.

I am working on some dead elm that I thought was Oak because it had no bark on it. It has been dead for many years but dry and solid as a bone. I have Oak that the gypsy moths killed 20 years ago, it is great. One thing I will warn you is do not totally cover you wood with tarps and leave them in contact with the ground. When I cleared my lot 20 years ago I cut and stacked alot of wood and put tarps over it. I burned some of it in the fire place for years. But in the end it turned to mulch.

My situation is that the wood is on pallets which will rot in 2 to 3 years I think. I am in the SE US so we are talking high humity and a lot of rain. The top is covered and the sids are open. Unfortuantly, it is all stacked in the shade. There is a lot of termite activity and wood boring beatles in the junk wood that I have.

The wood will rot anyplace water can collect.

If the cover is perfect and not wet spots occur the would should last indefinitely.

Bark side up works pretty well without a cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.