How long would you wait

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
A wind storm in December blew down a big maple tree in a park owned by the Army Corp or Engineers. I applied for and was granted a wood gathering permit to cut up this tree with the additional instructions that there was another guy interested in the tree, and he was also going to get a permit. They asked me if I would kindly only take half of the tree, which I did. The other guy, who is a close friend of the chief ranger in the park, as of today has still not even applied for his permit. My cousin, another ranger in the park, found this out this morning. When she tried to find out if he still wanted the wood (about a chord left), she can't get a straight answer. How long would you wait to see if this guy takes it before you fire up the chainsaw and take the rest, or would you just leave this wood laying on the ground to rot? I hate to see a good tree go to waste, but I hate to upset the chief ranger that grants my permit too.

Forget it. Maybe if it is still there in 3-4 months, then ask. And even then say "I'll take the other part of the tree but if you're buddy is coming to get it I understand."

Is it really worth pissing of the Head Ranger? You cleaned up the property as fast as possible. The ranger already knows that. You think the Ranger doesn't want to do a good job in his park?

Next time a tree comes down he'll remember who did a good job and who didn't. And I bet he'll tell you to take the whole tree.

Forget the rest. I'm sure you took the best pieces anyway. Leave it for the other guy.

x3

It's not worth losing a potentially good future wood score. If it's still there in a few months, then you could maybe ask, but don't push your luck right now and make yourself look greedy.

trumpeterb said:
A wind storm in December blew down a big maple tree in a park owned by the Army Corp or Engineers. I applied for and was granted a wood gathering permit to cut up this tree with the additional instructions that there was another guy interested in the tree, and he was also going to get a permit. They asked me if I would kindly only take half of the tree, which I did. The other guy, who is a close friend of the chief ranger in the park, as of today has still not even applied for his permit. My cousin, another ranger in the park, found this out this morning. When she tried to find out if he still wanted the wood (about a chord left), she can't get a straight answer. How long would you wait to see if this guy takes it before you fire up the chainsaw and take the rest, or would you just leave this wood laying on the ground to rot? I hate to see a good tree go to waste, but I hate to upset the chief ranger that grants my permit too.

I would ask the chief?

Forget about it...your reputations intact. Next time they want a tree removed quickly with no grief...who do you think they'll call?

Status
Not open for further replies.