How loud is your blower - Blower Noise ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FPX Dude

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
How loud is your blower, if you have one? If have FPX insert.

Ok, so how can we make this scientific...well, let's try this, I have an iphone and just download'd the app called "Decibel Ultra" (uh, yes it's free). Get the room as quiet as you can, I stand about 10ft. in front of my insert and register ~50dB.

What do you get?

FPX Dude said:
I have an iPhone [snip] What do you get?

A Droid! :lol:

I've been researching blower noise, and the impression I get is that most blowers are pretty quiet on low, but loud enough to be intrusive on full blast.

Unfortunately, stove blowers have to be relatively small for packaging reasons. The smaller the fan, the faster it has to turn and the more noise it has to make to move a given volume of air.

My stove will within earshot of my home theater, so I'm going with an unjacketed stove and external fans--mainly a ceiling fan.

If you want to quiet your existing blower setup, you could go with a larger remote fan (like a big duct fan) and run ducting from it to the stove, to protect the fan from heat.

HTH, and happy app-ing.

To check a fan or motor bearing for wear,spin it by hand. A good bearing makes NO noise when spun by hand.

I have a Buck 74. The blower is rather loud even on low. It is obtrusive when the TV in on and the volume must be turned up significantly.

We are always running the fan on the BK insert. On high it is alot louder than on low fan speed. I think it just part of the deal when your burning with a insert. Wood floors dont help any with the fan noice level.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>
DSC_0043.jpg
</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From fire up the bk</td></tr></table>

The fan on my Pleasent Hearth is not objectional at all, granted it's not an insert. The paper work says 50 decibles, I'd say that's probably about right.

I grafted a Dayton blower onto this stove many years ago and it was pretty noisy. I found that by reducing the amount of air (I used black 2" gorilla tape to block about 50% of the air intake and it is unnoticible) it takes in it was much quieter which makes sense less air movement = less noise. This also reduces the load on the motor so it should last longer. This blower is totally enclosed so it does not rely on the blower wheel to cool itself.. If I ever replace this blower I will try to find a lower cfm unit which usually means lower rpm.. This blower is ~3000 rpm and a 1550 rpm blower should do the trick..

Ray

Hampton (Regency) blower is super quiet on low, can't hear it with other background noise (i.e. TV or general talk). On High, noticeable and can be heard over TV and soft conversation. We don't use HIGH that often so it's not an issue.

Mine is pretty low up to about 1/2 speed. Full speed is a bit of noise but liveable as when on full, it is friggin cold out. I will check my readings when i get home - if i remember.

I periodically pull the blower on my HI300, oil the bearings, and blow off the vanes really well with compressed air. I am surprised at the crap that comes out, and at how quiet the blower gets after.

The PE fan is quite quiet. I just tested with a digital sound level meter (what, you don't have one? :) ). At 18" away from the blower with the meter pointed directly at the motor, I read 50db @ low speed, 53db @ medium and 61db a@ high.

Using this app on wife's iPhone.. (I am a "Tundra" kind of guy, but she loves her iPhone.)

ambient room runs about = 35db
fan set where we usually run it = 40db
fan on high = 51db

TV set for news listening right now (FoxNews) about 60db
Home theater.. same room.. set to last nights listening level.. Avatar.. random scene in chapter 20.. peaked at 107db lol.

Mine draws filtered air. Two muffin fans w/speed control. The stove sets in an alcove so the noise is kind of amplified somewhat. Muffin fans will make less noise but don't like static pressure. Mine has to be quiet because of home theater setup. Filtered air is a plus.

My meter bottoms out at 50db, which is why I read so close to the motor. At 6 ft away it had to be on high to register.

Oh when she gets too noisy, I tell her to pipe down

BeGreen said:
My meter bottoms out at 50db, which is why I read so close to the motor. At 6 ft away it had to be on high to register.

Dude you need hearing protection! LOL that is very loud..

Ray

raybonz said:
BeGreen said:

Dude you need hearing protection! LOL that is very loud..

Ray

Too late. 20 years on tanks did my hearing in, pretty much. Got all my fingers and toes though, so pretty happy about that.

BUT that was a peak point during an explosion.. it was averaging down around 80 or so..

BeGreen said:
The PE fan is quite quiet. I just tested with a digital sound level meter (what, you don't have one? :) ). At 18" away from the blower with the meter pointed directly at the motor, I read 50db @ low speed, 53db @ medium and 61db a@ high.

Honda 2000 generators runs from 49 to 59 DB, about the same as the fan. That seems really loud.....

Buckstove 74ZC fan on high is less obtrusive than the gas furnace blower which isn't even in the same room as the tv which my wood stove is.

Lanning said:
BeGreen said:

Honda 2000 generators runs from 49 to 59 DB, about the same as the fan. That seems really loud.....

This was measured 18" from the motor. Honda measures their level at 9 ft away, 6x the distance. At the same distance, the PE blower doesn't register on my sound meter which stops at 50db. But if I do the math, at medium speed the sound level at 9ft is 38.4 db for the stove fan. At full speed the 9ft reading calculates to be 45.4db. For reference, 60db is normal conversation volume, 38.4 is below a whisper. In home theater terms, it is about as loud as our projector's quiet fan. But normally we have the fan off and just let the near silent Ecofan do the air mixing.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

PS: The Honda is a really quiet generator. I plan on getting one soon to replace our old noisy Coleman.

BeGreen said:

Oh great...now I got "digital sound level meter" envy! :) Oh, I should have mentioned that I didn't try any other speeds except high. I can't even it hear it otherwise, most time I have to walk over and put my hand in front of it to make sure it's on.

I got it for setting up the surround sound. Seems like you have one too with the iPhone app. Suffice it to say your stove at non-high speed is whisper quiet.

i would like a larger blower in my insert.
so i can have it on low when its not too cold out, but crank it up when its really cold out.
obviously only crank the fan when the stove is really cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.