How loud is your blower - Blower Noise ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at this puppy very closely. It looks nice, but I am having a hard time going for it, we have no RV. It's bulkier and about 30# heavier and price locally is more expensive than the Honda. Also, we see many more Honda dealers and repair sites than Yamaha which are relatively uncommon out here for some reason. If it used less fuel or was quieter, I might consider it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. But I haven't seen or heard one. Do you have this model? If yes, pm me or I can start a thread in the Gear forum.

BeGreen said:
Lanning said:
BeGreen said:
PS: The Honda is a really quiet generator. I plan on getting one soon to replace our old noisy Coleman.

They are sweet... my dad used to have an old Powermate model. It is no comparison to these EU2000i's. I have two of them. They are really miserly on fuel as well. If you need extended runtime go with the kits that let you hook up 5-6 gallon marine tanks.

They now sell a triple parallel kit to connect similar or dissimilar EU models together.

http://www.wisesales.com/honda_parallel.html

yhst-12532106308829_2133_6185399

BeGreen said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at this puppy very closely. It looks nice, but I am having a hard time going for it, we have no RV. It's bulkier and about 30# heavier and price locally is more expensive than the Honda. Also, we see many more Honda dealers and repair sites than Yamaha which are relatively uncommon out here for some reason. If it used less fuel or was quieter, I might consider it, but that doesn't appear to be the case. But I haven't seen or heard one. Do you have this model? If yes, pm me or I can start a thread in the Gear forum.

I am looking for a gen for our camper. I like the Yam because it can run the A/C. The Honda 2000 will not.

We have run the Honda 2000 while camping for days on end. My old renter let us try it, very nice unit, I thought the Yam 2400 was a lot less cost than the Honda 2000? Reviews on the RV forums are very positive for the Yam. If your using for home use, weight and noise are not as big a consideration.

I was not planning on using it at the house, have a bigger generator that I can plug into a reliance transfer switch.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Reliance-Controls-30216A/p1114.html

Works great, runs most of the house except the A/C and electric stove.

The Yamaha EF2000iS a closer match to the Honda EU2000i when comparing output and weight.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/626/0/home.aspx

The Yamahas are good generators though. The EF2400iSHC is about 30lbs more than the 2000 models of both makes. I guess from what I have heard on the EU2000i forums is that they can turn over some of the newer A/C units but older ones have too much draw for it as you have encountered.

My Osburn 2400 Insert sounds about like a box fan on high. My old Grizzly insert had a huge squirrel cage that was as loud as a vacuum cleaner. It was so bad we had to turn the TV up all the way and that sucked if I was trying to sleep as I could hear the show better in the bedroom than my wife in the living room. With the Osburn I don't even hear the blower on low.

My blower is pretty quiet. We almost never notice it. Even on high it's not very loud, but it does a great job of moving the heat around. That is probably my favorite feature of the stove.

burleymike said:
My Osburn 2400 Insert sounds about like a box fan on high. My old Grizzly insert had a huge squirrel cage that was as loud as a vacuum cleaner. It was so bad we had to turn the TV up all the way and that sucked if I was trying to sleep as I could hear the show better in the bedroom than my wife in the living room. With the Osburn I don't even hear the blower on low.

Hey burleymike,

How do you like the osburn? I'm seriously considering upgrading. What kind of burn time are you getting out of that beast?

Overall I have been very happy with it, for the price and the size of the firebox I don't think I could have done better. I get between 8 and 10 hours, in the morning I have a decent bed of coals and 200 degree stove top temps with the blower on nearly 24/7. I am burning lodgepole and I cut the wood too short for this stove so each log is 4" short. I had cut this wood for my old stove. If I had good hard wood that was 21" long I bet I could get a few more hours burn time.

I have two complaints first is when cleaning the chimney you have to remove the burn tubes, baffle, and the insulation blanket on top of the baffle. My old cat stove had a bypass damper I could just open and all the creosote would just fall into the stove. On the bright side I have cleaned the chimney once so far and it was not that bad at all, just some fine coffee ground like stuff.

Second complaint is the blower would start to vibrate/rattle. I wedged a washer between the bottom of the stove and the blower housing and that made it good and tight and that solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.