How low is too low in a cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Ive heard folks describing creosote liquids running down and in some cases out of their stoves during a cat burn. Is this normal? I know that you will get black glass, firebrick, etc.. but liquid formation in a firebox?

Is it possible with properly seasoned wood for liquid creosote to run in a firebox during an active cat burn?

I have not had this happen to me personally.

Ive heard folks describing creosote liquids running down and in some cases out of their stoves during a cat burn. Is this normal? I know that you will get black glass, firebrick, etc.. but liquid formation in a firebox?

Is it possible with properly seasoned wood for liquid creosote to run in a firebox during an active cat burn?

I have not had this happen to me personally.
I have never had it happen to me, either. Methinks this would require some mighty wet wood.

What is a more realistic concern is icing of the upper chimney and cap, due to ultra high efficiency, and thus low chimney temps. One BK dealer I visited this winter had enormous brown icicles hanging all over his chimney, from the cap, as the result of burning his stove on wet wood. Looked... gross.

Reactions: jeff_t
As long as the cat stays active I don't think you can have it "too low". When I dial mine way down I get some nasty stuff inside the stove. I think I've had the consistency of a thick tar but have never noticed actual liquid that could run.

I have not seen liquid either, dark crusty creosote in the firebox yes, but it comes off in flakes. As previously mentioned as long as the cat is active (400-600 depending on the cat) you are good to go and should not see smoke, especially if this is in the coaling stage of the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.