How low would you go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Hope you guys are having a good summer. I'm picking up a mower with a glass cab on Saturday and am a little worried about the glass on the 400+ mile highway ride home. First, is this even an issue to worry about? And, if so, is reducing the air pressure in the tires of either the mower or the trailer the way to deal with it? It is a cozy cab on a JD mower. Trailer is a single axle dump with a 6K axle and LR E tires. It definitely jumps around fully inflated when empty and the mower is somewhere around 2,000 pounds. Trailer is 1100. Pics of the trailer and mower for reference.

Attachments

• 020412 loaded up.jpg
    020412 loaded up.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 144
  • f1145.JPG
    f1145.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 162
Commercial mowers can take one helluva a beating just cruising a lawn at 8 mph. I think a ride home on a sprung trailer would be an easy day for it.

I doubt the (little) bouncing around it's likely to do is a real concern. I'd be more worried about it taking a rock hit. I'd definitely load it ass-in-first, and maybe even rig a sheet of 1/4" ply or something over its back window (which will be facing forward). Rick

Nice mower. As stated, the bouncing it sees on the trailer won't be anything compared to what it sees cruising your lawn. Just make sure the hatch is closed tight or strapped shut, since it's not used to seeing 65 mph winds.

The manuals for some of those mowers instruct you to block up the deck for trailering. Easy way is to raise deck up high, slide some timbers under it, and then lower deck onto the timbers.

Cool, thanks guys. I've seen those deals MM. This was a sweet deal on a low hour machine. A similar 14 series 4WD diesel deal would put me close to 10K. That cab will make blowing snow a lot more pleasant too. And, I can use the 5' deck of the 910 to do all those things you shouldn't do with your lawn mower;)

I doubt the (little) bouncing around it's likely to do is a real concern. I'd be more worried about it taking a rock hit. I'd definitely load it ass-in-first, and maybe even rig a sheet of 1/4" ply or something over its back window (which will be facing forward). Rick

Or simply tape some cardboard to the glass to guard against stones.

The only problem I can see is getting it loaded so you have the right amount on tongue weight. Too little and the trailer will want to whip, too much will pull the back of the vehicle down. Not sure how much room you have to play with with that trailer. You want it right going that distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.