How Many 90s to Get to the Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOH

Sep 24, 2015
Michigan
Hello All!

I'm hoping you can help me. I want to situate my stove (QuadraFire 3100 ACT) to the left of the existing chimney in order to get it closer into a corner. With regard to exhaust and draft -- I would need to get from about 3 feet high (top of the stove) over to the right about 2 feet and up another 3 feet before making a 90 through the framed wall (thimble of course) and into the existing masonry chimney. Is this ridiculous? Doable? Better to do 3 90s or maybe 2 45s and one 90? Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a friend's setup. See if you can do it with just the 45s and pivoting the flue to meet the other 45 entering the thimble. If not you may need to add the 90.

Sounds like a friend's setup. See if you can do it with just the 45s and pivoting the flue to meet the other 45 entering the thimble. If not you may need to add the 90.

I like that idea, begreen. I'll mock it up and see how it looks. I'm going to put a lot of time and materials into a hearth, so I want to make sure it won't look too funky. Thanks!!!

NFPA, and most local codes, insist on a maximum of 2 90's.

If you are concerned about the appearance then use all 90's but you will lose out on draft. Personally I tried to avoid all 90's, in my install, as there is a 90 I couldn't avoid , from the basement through the chimney and up to the wild blue ! (my tee!)

Status
Not open for further replies.