How many are buying from HD this year or,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, good to know im not crazy. and now you see why i have no choice but to stick to the HD pellets.
Yeah. Especially if you burn more than 3 ton. They are putting the **** face on in NY apparently.

Let's see, I paid $534 for 2 tons of Pres-to pellets, delivered from Lowes (or at least they should be there when I get home tonight ;)). I also paid $518 for 2 tons of ThermaGlow, delivered from HD.

Or, I could get 2 tons of NEWPS for $600, no delivery available from the local Agway. Or, at the local hardware store, I could pay $570-600 for 2 tons (I'm unclear on the price) of Still River - again, no delivery and no one knows how those burn. Any place else that I could get decent pellets from, want big bucks to deliver here, and over $300/ton.

I don't have a truck, nor do I have a tow hitch. This year the delivery from BBS worked out perfectly for me. If it hadn't, I drive by one every day and can grab them 10-15 bags at a time without putting in much extra time or gas.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Let's see, I paid $534 for 2 tons of Pres-to pellets, delivered from Lowes (or at least they should be there when I get home tonight ;)). I also paid $518 for 2 tons of ThermaGlow, delivered from HD.

Or, I could get 2 tons of NEWPS for $600, no delivery available from the local Agway. Or, at the local hardware store, I could pay $570-600 for 2 tons (I'm unclear on the price) of Still River - again, no delivery and no one knows how those burn. Any place else that I could get decent pellets from, want big bucks to deliver here, and over $300/ton.

I don't have a truck, nor do I have a tow hitch. This year the delivery from BBS worked out perfectly for me. If it hadn't, I drive by one every day and can grab them 10-15 bags at a time without putting in much extra time or gas.
HD or BBS's work out for some people logistics wise... travel, delivery etc......some have no choice due to location of pellets or lack of in there area...
actually, that is a decent price these days anyhow for a good pellet like Presto logs.
on the other hand, I Just left HD and they have Nations Choice[ one of the crapppiest ashy pellets u can buy] for 269.00 ton.
20 bucks more than they sold for last season AND therein lies the reason many are willing to go for paying more for better stuff and with HD prices known early this year like late summer, it gave, a window for shopping around this year as opposed to last years everyone freaking out due to shortages and buying whatever was available at the BBS's...

Last edited:
actually, that is a decent price these days anyhow for a good pellet like Presto logs.
on the other hand, I Just left HD and they have Nations Choice[ one of the crapppiest ashy pellets u can buy] for 269.00 ton.

Yeah, I was impressed when I saw the Presto's at Lowes (going by forum member's comments) and immediately decided to get a couple of tons. As it was, they had to check to make sure they had enough in the back. I have never seen that good a pellet at this particular Lowes (not even ever anything I was ever tempted to buy until now).

yep. HD i think i paid 270 call it for a ton of therma glo. the other local places had "higher" end pellets..think one said they had infernos(?) and he wanted 380 a ton which i had to pick up myself. I'm all for paying more for a better product (10-20 a ton) but once you add on an extra 0 it really isnt much of a conversation.

EDIT: added current pricing

okanagan gold - 360
okanagan platinum - 365
okanagan douglas fir - 432
LaCrete - 360
american wood fibers 332
blazer doug fir - 415
energex - 331

again for reference HD therma glo 270

are any of these actually worth those prices?

Those prices are stupid. Buy a nice sweater.

Let's see, I paid $534 for 2 tons of Pres-to pellets, delivered from Lowes (or at least they should be there when I get home tonight ;))..

Got home to two pallets of Pres-to's next to the ThermoGlows. I'm a happy camper!

Not I said the blind man here.... For $250 per ton both HD and Lowe's can sit on theirs. They can spin on it too. I have found Sets elsewhere at a mom and pop agri supply shop for $219 per ton. HD has junk here also. I have also found other decent stuff for $205 per ton. With 7 tons there would roughly be a savings of $217 and enough for a "free" ton. Needless to say I bought left over Sets at Lowe's for this year at $235 a ton or there abouts with delivery so I'll take that. I still left some cash on the table in the tune of approximately $16 per ton but I would have had to pick those up and it's a drop in the bucket per se. I read too much here and got a case of the Noreasters pellet cramps and concerned about junk pellets at $250 a ton. Never Again......

The local Lowe's has Hammers at $250 but they can have those too because after my military discount they are still $225 and I am not supporting price jacking instead of a small business.

$6 bucks is $6 bucks. It's the principle I don't like. Now come this spring and they are marked down and with my discount on top of that it might be another story.

Last edited:
Not I said the blind man here.... For $250 per ton both HD and Lowe's can sit on theirs. They can spin on it too. I have found Sets elsewhere at a mom and pop agri supply shop for $219 per ton. HD has junk here also.

The local Lowe's has Hammers at $250 but they can have those too because after my military discount they are still $225 and I am not supporting price jacking instead of a small business.

$6 bucks is $6 bucks. It's the principle I don't like. Now come this spring and they are marked down and with my discount on top of that it might be another story.
$219 for Sets? I live in the wrong part of the country, damn I paid $285 for barefoot and I don't think they are better than Sets but Kentucky is too far from NY.

$219 for Sets? I live in the wrong part of the country, damn
Yes and Yes. GO CATS! LOL! Found them locally and readily available for $219 after I jumped the gun and loaded up a month and a half ago on Sets for $235 per ton delivered. Slightly ticks me off but I'll be content. I do like Upstate NY. Very pretty.

The taxes and other stuff Ya'll can keep. It's been a long while since I was up there. I like going all over checking things out. I'm fairly well well traveled. I also like a lot of places out west. Some beautiful scenery and weather to be had. Very different than what we have and it's a nice change to see.

Last edited:
Sets are made about 2 hours south but You can not really buy direct unless you get 22-26 tons or a semi load at a time. Let me correct that statement. I've called and you can buy direct for the same price per ton you can get them other places close by. They deal in larger volumes preferably.:( I also think they discourage it so their bread and butter dealers do not whine and cry.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
.... I've called and you can buy direct for the same price per ton you can get them other places close by. ...
:( I also think they discourage it so their bread and butter dealers do not whine and cry.

Pretty much standard business practice...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.