How many bags a day and how many square ft heated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sscomo

Nov 15, 2010
central mo
how many people are getting by with 1 bag a day? how many square ft are you heating? outside/inside temp?

I've been burning a bag a day to keep at 68 degrees. Outside temp range from 0 to 25. 940 sq ft heated.

i just installed my stove yesterday. i have a 2700 sqft home. my home was at 66 degrees 1st floor and 69 second floor. i burned 1 hopper(56 ibs) in 18 hours. I have a harman accentra insert. i dont know if this is good or not? i have new england hardwood pellets

New pellet burner here as well. Over the last 4 days, with high temps of 30 degrees or less and lows in the teens, I've burned 7 bags to heat a 2400 ft home. My stove is set at room temp mode between 70 and 75.

A bag a day when temps stay in the 20's and 30's. Below that, when the stove gets turned up a level I burn just over a bag. 1400 square feet.

Sounds like youre both burning about the same rate to heat 2000sq ft plus.

I've been running mine 24/7 on a medium low setting. Maybe I should hook it up to the on/off thermostat.

One pound of pellets make about 7300-8500 BTU'S , one bag a day is like 1 1/2 lbs an hour, or 11000-13000 BTU'S AN hour.It all depends how much insulation your home has and how much and how fast it loses heat. So a pound of pellets go further in a well insulated home then a not so well insulated home,

2200 SQ FT colonial, temps above 30 1 bag a day. Below 30 and windy it maxes out at 1.5 to 2 bags a day. The 2 bags a day is mainly on the real cold and windy weekends where the stoves thermostat temps don't set back durn the day. All the night time set bask times and temps are the same. Max thermostat temps set at 71 degrees F.
This all can change depending on the type of pellets used, Hammer's went through my stove a lot faster than the others I have in stock. I now mix them with the other ones to get longer burn times.

Buildingmaint: It does feel like it puts out about 11000 btu, and that barely heats up my 900sq ft......I'm surprised that some folks are able to heat up to 2000 sq ft on a bag and a half/ day.......

I burn between 1.5 and 2 bags a day when it's really cold. It keeps our house at 70-72. It's 1400 square feet with a cathedral ceiling and skylights. Also a sliding glass door that is opened frequently to let the dog out because the house is too hot for her.

I Have 2 stoves, 3 levels, 4,800 SF and a very open floor plan. I use between 1.75 to 2.25 bags a day depending on the temp. My stoves are on a thermostat that is set at 70° most of the time.

I do have a very well insulated home that takes advantage of solar gain (thermal mass floors) during the day lessening the need for heat during the day.

i average three bags a day. or 7 tons a year 1450 feet of home 900 feet of garage. and it heats my hot water . i have a central boiler maxim 175

Temps above 20, a bag a day to heat 1200 square feet of well insulated house. Below 20, a bag and a half. 70 degrees always.

Chan

Slightly under 2 bags a day currently for 1800+ square feet.

Temperature from stove room to master suite which is over the stove room is currently 75.1 to 66.7 this puts the living room at 70 normally. Current outside temperature is 8 degrees and headed down.

A bag a day when above 25 degrees.2100 square feet.also have radiant heat in ceilings and floors.Never use it though.1 and 1/2 bags tops when it gets colder.

Over the last week, we been averaging a little less than a bag a day. Running the igniter in manual mode setting it for 72*F durring the day and turning it down to 65*F at night.

The house is only 5 years old and VERY well insulated, 2500sqft. Right now, 73* in my dining room where the stove is, 71* in the living room, both on first floor. Upstairs, the three bedrooms are 67*, 67* and 65*. Outside temps have been all over the place, from -4*F to 29*F. The upstairs bedrooms have yet to drop below 63*F. Oil is set to come on at 61*F for the upstairs...

I'm at about 1 bag a day or a little more when the temps go lower outside.
Lately it's been REALLY cold here at around -27 Celsius (-17 Fahrenheit) outside at night so I'm burning about 1.5 bags a day. Daytime outdoor temps now are from -9 to -16 Celsius(17 to 3 degrees Fahrenheit).
I heat the upper floor of my place to about 70 degrees Fahrenheit by pellet stove and it's 1200sq ft.
The basement (also 1200sq ft.) is heated when it's really cold out and has a large wood stove centrally located in it.

Attachments

• Pellet Stove1.jpg
    Pellet Stove1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 622
  • wood stove1.jpg
    wood stove1.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 861
A bag and a half to 2 bags a day. Running on low heat high fan, fuel adjustment rod wide open . Keeping 2,100 sq ft. Ranch at 74. Little corner fans in bedroom doorways keeping bedrooms just below 70. Very open floor plan. With plastic shrink kits covering ALL windows.

Near 2000 SQ FT raised ranch. Stove in basement but ducting heat to the living area mostly. Between 1 bag to 1 1/2 bags a day. House is kept at 72/74ºF while home and active. 66 to 68ºF while sleeping or away. Lots of pink permanent pellets in the attic. 3 to 3 1/2 tons for the season usually. Loving my pellet stove as the house is all electric. Much cheaper for me overall. :)

I burn my Fahrenheit furnace at Level 2 and go through about 1/2 of a bag of pellets per day, my house is 2500 sq. ft. (new build, I general contracted my own build and my house was completed in early 2008), and I generally run my pellet furnace 5-6 hours per day on average. This morning, my outdoor temp was -10°F, so I ran my Fahrenheit overnight on Level 2, indoor temp on the first floor was 70°F, upstairs was warm in the mid to upper 60s!!

Heating 1,100 sqft on a bag a day, keeping the house at 71 in room temp, other end of the house is 68. Running in stove temp with my whitfield I was getting 30 hrs. out of a bag but the temp in the house swung with outside temps. house could range from 66 to 73 depending on outside temps. Overall i'm burning about 1.5 bags more / week in room temp. but the house is much more comfortable at a constant temp.

Not real sure what you hope to gain with this one. Might as well also ask 'how thick are your walls? How much insulation in walls and ceiling? How many windows? What construction are they? Which way does your house face? What are your degree days compared to bags of pellets (most telling of the lot)? OAK hooked up? Heated basement, crawl space, or slab? What kind of siding? How many stories? What kind of roofing and what color? What's your flue temp at stove?

1.5 to 2 bags per day 2200 SqFt 2 story, temps are 70-75, putting in my other Whitfield Advantage III today I pickup this past weekend to heat the other side of my house better, so will see if I can turn down my other stove.

Yah, there are soooooooo many variables, but IMO a general rule of thumb is ~1 bag / 1,000 sq. ft. , 1,500 = 1.5 bags, 2,000 = 2 bags, of course your mileage may vary.

3600sqft. 1/3rd is an unfinished basement. Harman PF100 furnace without the return hooked up (this is why basement)
69 main floor
67 second floor
65 basement

I have been about 2 bags a day as I turn it down 5 degrees at about 8:00 and up to 69 at 6:00am
low 20's and under I can go up to 2.5 bags a day.
Above 38 I am about 1.3 - 1.5 bags a day

Status
Not open for further replies.