How many bags a day and how many square ft heated?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Approx 2500 sqft. with an open layout downstairs. I keep the T-stat at 69 deg near our bedroom and the upstairs averages 65-67. We have a small electric heater in the baby's room, but other than that the whole house is heated with the pellet stove and solar panels. I average about 1 1/2 bags a day on the coldest days. At this time of year, the solar isn't doing much. When it really kicks back in in March, the house will be 80 with the pellet stove off.

It's the fall and spring with the solar going that I wish my Englander had a t-stat controlled On / Off mode. Still love it though.

tjnamtiw said:
Not real sure what you hope to gain with this one. Might as well also ask 'how thick are your walls? How much insulation in walls and ceiling? How many windows? What construction are they? Which way does your house face? What are your degree days compared to bags of pellets (most telling of the lot)? OAK hooked up? Heated basement, crawl space, or slab? What kind of siding? How many stories? What kind of roofing and what color? What's your flue temp at stove?

You left out an important variable, how many feet of snow is on your roof.

SmokeyTheBear said:
tjnamtiw said:
Not real sure what you hope to gain with this one. Might as well also ask 'how thick are your walls? How much insulation in walls and ceiling? How many windows? What construction are they? Which way does your house face? What are your degree days compared to bags of pellets (most telling of the lot)? OAK hooked up? Heated basement, crawl space, or slab? What kind of siding? How many stories? What kind of roofing and what color? What's your flue temp at stove?

Melted down to about a foot now, but sick of the icicles coming off the roof, back steps are an ice skating rink now, I am thinking about buying a snow rake for the roof!

3/4 to a bag a day- temp averages 68- 72 degrees.... 800 sq ft ranch... usually 2.5-3 tons a season.... at $230/ton, I could care less how much I burn. Any winter you can keep the bill for the season below $1000 is a winner (unlike the NE Patsies & Bellychuck)!

2200 square ft colonial w/ open layout on first floor, below 20 use about 1.5 bags a day, house stays at 70-72 down and 68-69 up

lordgrinz said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
tjnamtiw said:

Melted down to about a foot now, but sick of the icicles coming off the roof, back steps are an ice skating rink now, I am thinking about buying a snow rake for the roof!
The sun will melt the snow on the roof but large icicles generally = heat loss through the roof and or a improperly vented attic or roof.

FordMastertech said:
lordgrinz said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
tjnamtiw said:

The sun will melt the snow on the roof but large icicles = heat loss through the roof and or a improperly vented attic or roof.

Either there is a lot of improperly vented roofs around here, or the melting snow is more of the issue. Then again I am not a builder, and this is an old 1880's colonial.

Over the last 3 winters, I average a bag a day. 2 tons per year. Heating a 1500 sq ft cape, open floor plan downstairs 68-74 degrees. 3 bedrooms upstairs 67-71 degrees. Stove setting on #2 of 5. One bag last me roughly 18 hrs, but I don't burn 24/7.

This is just what I have noticed when driving around you will not find "large" icicles on newer properly built houses, mainly the older homes with insufficient insulation and improperly vented attics and roofs. Most new houses have soffet and ridge venting and lots of insulation in the roof or attic floor.
The other thing is if you have "large" icicles you also have ice dams. If the roof installation isn't perfect you will get water entry through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.