How many "Break In" fires are required before letting her RIP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did it more by temp. The first fire I didn't let get over 250-300, the second not over 400-425 and the third not over 500. After that I just burnt to the temp I wanted/needed based on comfort level.

One note, even after burning the stove all last season, if I ever let the stove get up to temp to fast....I would still get a bit of paint smell. However if I shut the stove back sooner and brought the temp up more slowley....I wouldn't get the smell.

Never quite figured that one out.

JPapiPE said:
I figure to make small fires with kindling for the first several fires....before doing a serious burn...Is This enough?

In the manual for my Jotul Castine, it says to make 3 small, break in fires. Each fire should be brought to the following temperature for 1 hour, then allow to cool to room temperature:

1st fire: 200 degrees F
2nd fire: 300 degrees F
3rd fire: 400 degrees F

It may vary from stove to stove, but this may be used as general guideline if your stove is made of similar materials. Have you checked the owner/maintenance manual for your stove? You can probably find it online if you don't have it. Hope this helps!

I burnt my LMF furnace outside for 3 hrs on hi fire and there was hardly any new smell when I fired it up in the basement.. ;-)

corn4myheat said:
I burnt my LMF furnace outside for 3 hrs on hi fire and there was hardly any new smell when I fired it up in the basement.. ;-)
same here when i couldnt smell it anymore then letterip!

Status
Not open for further replies.