How many cord a day can you put up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many cord put up in a day.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Danno77 said:
I have no real idea. I have firewood ADHD, so I can't do anythinging all day long.

I'll do some sawing, then wanna play with the old chainsaws, so they might take some fiddling,

then I see the weedwacker sitting over in the corner all lonely, so I get it out, then I start trimming the yard,

then I wanna trim around the woostacks, and I see some rounds from last week and stack a few of them on the cord rack,

but then I decide I wanna see how easy the walnut will split in comparison to the white oak,

then I decide I wanna see if the fiskars will work better than the 8lb maul on the easy splitting stuff,

then I have to stack the splits, but it would probably be easier to carry a load in the yard cart, so I get the Deere hooked up

and then figure that while I have the cart hooked on I should real quick run to my neighbors cause he says he has some extra sand I can use to pave my walkway

then I decide to do a row of pavers real quick,

Then I decide I had better get back to cutting the wood, but I have no idea where I set the stupid chainsaw, so I spend half an hour looking for it.

Then I run outta bar and chain oil, so I have to run to the store for some

But while at the store I pick up a new blade for the push mower, so when I get home I need to put it on.

Then I realize that the bolt for the blade is exactly 3/4" and I can't find that socket. I could use an adjustable wrench, but this missing socket will drive me nuts.

I think it's inside in the basement, so I go down there looking for it, and see a half finished wooden storm window that I've been working on building for about three years.

Then Mrs. Danno tells me it's time for supper, so I need to get cleaned up.

Then I eat supper

Then I decide that i'm already cleaned up and need to help with kids' baths in about an hour, so I might as well call it a day.

(All of that is only if I don't decide to sit inside and surf hearth.com for the day)
LOL, thats the post of the day. Sounds like me, what ever strikes your fancy.

Kenster said:
kettensäge said:
I never take a tree from standing to firewood in 1 day. Not saying it's wrong but all my cutting and bucking gets done in the summer and fall, and splitting for the coming year is done in April, and immediately stacked in the shed for the coming year.

I don't split, stack in rows to dry and restack in the shed, that to me seems like a lot of work and apparently isn't necessarty in my case. ...

I unload and stack the rounds next to the filled woodshed and split in the spring.

Just curious... why don't you split the wood when you bring it home, instead of stacking the rounds and coming back and splitting/stacking in the spring? If you split when you bring it home you'll be getting several more months of drying time, and better drying since it would be left outside, exposed to wind and sun, until you move it into your shed in the Spring - which I assume you do once you've opened up space after winter burning.

Not being critical. I just like to read about and try to understand other peoples' methods.

No special reason, I stack the rounds right next to the shed and that gives me a start for the following spring. The rounds dry somewhat piled like that except for the ones sitting on the ground. Most of the rounds are 1 yr or older at that point since I am always at least 1 yr ahead, and being split 7 mos. minimum by the beginning of the burn season works fine for me. My shed holds 7 cords and I burn about 6 to 6.5 of those in a typical year.
I do split about 2 cords extra and that gets piled next to the shed for the coming year but that is not from fresh cut trees, it's from the previous years' rounds pile.
I burn 95% oak and that great seasoned oak aroma is just about gone, and shrinkage is now around 3 to 4 inches on a 72" high pile, it's almost ready! :lol:

I don't have problems with wet wood, it drys fine this way, the house stays a comfortable 74° in the winter and I have no chimney issues.

Cutting, loading and hauling in the summer heat is enough for me, I can't imagine splitting and stacking as well.

If I did do it all at once I would do about a cord and quit for the day, just can't put the non stop hours in like I used too.

Danno77 said:
I have no real idea. I have firewood ADHD, so I can't do anythinging all day long.

I'll do some sawing, then wanna play with the old chainsaws, so they might take some fiddling,

then I see the weedwacker sitting over in the corner all lonely, so I get it out, then I start trimming the yard,

then I wanna trim around the woostacks, and I see some rounds from last week and stack a few of them on the cord rack,

but then I decide I wanna see how easy the walnut will split in comparison to the white oak,

then I decide I wanna see if the fiskars will work better than the 8lb maul on the easy splitting stuff,

then I have to stack the splits, but it would probably be easier to carry a load in the yard cart, so I get the Deere hooked up

and then figure that while I have the cart hooked on I should real quick run to my neighbors cause he says he has some extra sand I can use to pave my walkway

Then I decide I had better get back to cutting the wood, but I have no idea where I set the stupid chainsaw, so I spend half an hour looking for it.

But while at the store I pick up a new blade for the push mower, so when I get home I need to put it on.

Then I realize that the bolt for the blade is exactly 3/4" and I can't find that socket. I could use an adjustable wrench, but this missing socket will drive me nuts.

I think it's inside in the basement, so I go down there looking for it, and see a half finished wooden storm window that I've been working on building for about three years.

Then I eat supper

Then I decide that i'm already cleaned up and need to help with kids' baths in about an hour, so I might as well call it a day.

(All of that is only if I don't decide to sit inside and surf hearth.com for the day)

:) :) :)

Suit up. Get out to the tree etc. One 10" oak or hickory dropped, bucked, split and stacked. Boots off. Two hours. Takes about ten of these to make a cord. I must be the slowest wood cutter in the country. Don't think I am wasting any effort. I am careful, but that don't mean I stand around contemplating my navel.

Once the tree is bucked up, the rounds go on my rounds hauler and never touch the ground again. Splitter is positioned at the stack. Rounds hauler is two foot wide(6' long) and backed up parallel to the stack just in the gap between the splitter and stack.

The procedure - Get a round, put it on the splitter. Take the split pieces off the splitter, turn around and place on the stack. The splitter stays outside under a tarp while firewood season is in progress. Sometimes I will get two or even three trees processed, but it takes longer. Sometimes, one tree is hard to drop for the brush that has to be cleared for a safe landing zone. So two hours is not enough time. The bigger trees get a pass because I don't want to lift the 20" long rounds. Even if one of the boys is home and we drop a big tree, it still seems it takes a while to get it processed. One cutting, limbing and bucking - one hauling, splitting, and stacking.

I look forward to the day when we have a regular wood lot that lets a person drop a tree without clearing and grubbing years accumulation of undergrowth. But today, we are blessed with hundreds of great medium size oak and hickory trees within a few hundred feet of the house. And the health and time to do the work. I know how lucky we are.

My Days are like that too, though since I do 18-20hr days, I still get a ton of stuff done, even if that 10-12hrs my job wastes gets in the way. Up around 7-8AM, leave for work at 2PM, get back at around midnight, go to bed around 3AM.

My brother was doing wood last summer and they were pulling 10-12 cords out of the woods a day no trouble, him and another guy. It was just cut to 4ft lengths though (what the wood boiler takes)

Danno77 said:

Then I eat supper

Lots of variables, like some said. But if 1 man is falling the tree, bucking, loading, splitting & stacking, 1 cord is a good days work.
No running for gas, breakdowns, etc. Not bad for 1 months worth of heat.

Now with 2 men who know what's going on with the equipment & have some experience & know how to work steady, 3 - 4+ cords.
Help of any kind really speeds it up. A good team trading off tasks, can get allot done.

When I was younger and in my prime
I could cut wood all day, one day at a time
But now I'm older and the body is not the same
I still cut wood but it is a bit tame
If the mood strike me and the weather is fine
I still wish I could cut wood all of the time
But now I can't work like I used to could
So now I just cut and stack the wood
It gets done little by little
My speed is about like the guy who whittles
I still cut as much as I always did
But this old man is no longer a kid
I'll still cut wood when colder weather gets here
In the meantime, I'm more interested in drinking some beer

So how much wood can a wood cutter cut? What is the point in answering? I maybe used to cut a couple cord a day with ease whereas now it may take me a week or more to cut a cord. What about the differences in people who cut wood on the land where they live but their neighbor has to drive 20 miles to get any wood at all? Others have logs delivered and it certainly can't take them as long as it does someone who cuts from the stump.

In the end, it does not matter how long it takes. Even now, some days I may work pretty hard while other days it is just so darned nice out there in the woods that I cut a bit and then sit on a stump and simply enjoy being in the great outdoors. My neighbors are birds and deer and other little critters. I'd much rather watch and listen to them that sit in front of a tv in my living room. On a beautiful spring day is when I really enjoy getting out there but now it is for splitting the wood as we normally don't cut after March gets here. There is something about working outdoors in the Spring of the year when the sun is finally shinning and getting higher in the sky while the air is more comfortable too.

In the end, I may cut 2-3 cords in one winter (like last winter) or I may cut 6-8 cords. I never keep track of how long it takes me or the total time I spend doing the wood. To me it is normal work but pleasant (most of the time). We have no schedule here; if we feel like it, we cut wood. If not, we do something else. As we age we also look at it as good exercise and something we can do without having the aerobic ability of youth.

So, no, I did not vote in the poll.....but I still put up wood.

I'm with Danno. I always get side tracked and I do alot of things at once. When I'm collecting wood, I will take the 3 point winch and the tractor out to the woods. In the past I would cut into rounds, throw them into a trailer and put them beside the house where they would be split at my leisure. After my trailer broke, I would take an old frame and cut the logs in 4.5' sections and pile them on the frame and once again beside the house at my leisure. When I got my winch I would pull 10-20' logs to the house and process them beside the house when I had time instead of the woods. I always felt I could get more firewood out of the woods that way than processing everything there and hauling it back. This year I bought a military trailer and I need to finish the 3 pt mount for it. Once thats complete, I may go back to rounds. If the trees were plentiful and easy to access, I could process a cord or more in a day. But thats not possible now because I need to cut and pull trees or logs to the tractor from places that are hard to reach. It takes time. Having 3 children and a wife in school full-time, theres no time.

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
The way I'm doing it 1/2 at best, unless I don't have to clean up and its pretty straight forward.

then again 4 hours is a good long day if you're bustin it.

+1, 4-5 hrs tops no breaks and balls to the wall!

Not me today,4 hrs about 1/2 p/u load.84 degrees,90% humidity. with NO wind,only a few sprinkles.Totally soaked within an hour. Least the clouds helped some.

In 'better' conditions I can usually get 1 cord (about 2 1/4 p/u loads) in 8-9 hrs.If no heavy brush,carrying it more than 20 ft to truck or cart,all that usual stuff.Between 40 & 70 degrees I can still fly pretty good - this time of year? I move like a tortoise :lol:

Attachments

• asleep again....jpg
    asleep again....jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 210
Heck I went out to see how many cords I could count today got to 4 and went back to airconditioning. LOL 101* here today with heavy humidity

Here lately I've been hauling & dumping deadfall I cut in April into a pile one week,splitting/stacking it the next.Did drop 17 snags in May/June on the days it wasnt raining & cleaned them up.Dropped 2 more small snags today & hauled them up,in between mowing,sharpening 3 chains & fixing the cart's hitch.I'm like Danno,always doing several things at once.I get sidetracked easily.

woodsmaster said:
On average how many cord a day can you put up. Be Honest this not a competition. I'm talking drop the trees, cut split haul and stack. how many hours does it take and with what equipment. I can do around a cord a day with my husq. 455 and a slow 35 ton splitter. If I had a larger saw and a four way wedge on a faster splitter I could improve some. I usually only work on wood for a max of 8 hours, after that I'm worn out.

Edit : I wanted to add that I split mine to the size of playing cards. Obviously if You use splits twice as big It wouldn't take as long to split.

Never kept track but one months worth in a day (.61 of a cord) would be a number I can deal with. Last year I busted my hump so even half of that is fine.

Getting five years ahead makes it easier.

zap

zapny said:
woodsmaster said:
On average how many cord a day can you put up. Be Honest this not a competition. I'm talking drop the trees, cut split haul and stack. how many hours does it take and with what equipment. I can do around a cord a day with my husq. 455 and a slow 35 ton splitter. If I had a larger saw and a four way wedge on a faster splitter I could improve some. I usually only work on wood for a max of 8 hours, after that I'm worn out.

Edit : I wanted to add that I split mine to the size of playing cards. Obviously if You use splits twice as big It wouldn't take as long to split.

Never kept track but one months worth in a day (.61 of a cord) would be a number I can deal with. Last year I busted my hump so even half of that is fine.

Getting five years ahead makes it easier.

zap

5 yrs ahead makes it REALLY easy.

leonardo said:
anyone who claims he can put up more than 2 cords a day(tree to stack) either doesn't know what a cord is, thinks very highly of themselves or is one bad mamma jammer.

Yea that would be kinda funny watching someone else fight that Monster!

.75 to 1 cord in day is very good day for me 9-10hrs.

I didn't bother answering the poll since a) I'm fat, lazy and slow, b) I never have cut a tree down, bucked it up, hauled it home, split it and stacked it all in one day, c) I never worry too much about working at breakneck speed to get as much wood in as possible since I am far enough ahead and d) It always seems as though I either have a very good day with everything working out just as I planned or the day is one of those where I get the saw pinched numerous times, the ATV trailer has a flat, I get several trees hung up, the wood hauling trailer has a flat, etc. so I never worry about how much wood I can get done in a day -- rather I work when I get spare time and work until I am tired or ready to call it a day.

For me-1/4 cord a day(using the Maine cord calculator)-cutting, split with axe and 6 pd maul-brought home and stacked. Here in BC Canada I have a free permit to cut 8 cords from crown lands-that's dead trees or wind blown down. Last time I saw some coyotes in the hinterland :snake:

Backwoods Savage said:
When I was younger and in my prime
I could cut wood all day, one day at a time
But now I'm older and the body is not the same
I still cut wood but it is a bit tame
If the mood strike me and the weather is fine
I still wish I could cut wood all of the time
But now I can't work like I used to could
So now I just cut and stack the wood
It gets done little by little
My speed is about like the guy who whittles
I still cut as much as I always did
But this old man is no longer a kid
I'll still cut wood when colder weather gets here
In the meantime, I'm more interested in drinking some beer

So how much wood can a wood cutter cut? What is the point in answering? I maybe used to cut a couple cord a day with ease whereas now it may take me a week or more to cut a cord. What about the differences in people who cut wood on the land where they live but their neighbor has to drive 20 miles to get any wood at all? Others have logs delivered and it certainly can't take them as long as it does someone who cuts from the stump.

In the end, it does not matter how long it takes. Even now, some days I may work pretty hard while other days it is just so darned nice out there in the woods that I cut a bit and then sit on a stump and simply enjoy being in the great outdoors. My neighbors are birds and deer and other little critters. I'd much rather watch and listen to them that sit in front of a tv in my living room. On a beautiful spring day is when I really enjoy getting out there but now it is for splitting the wood as we normally don't cut after March gets here. There is something about working outdoors in the Spring of the year when the sun is finally shinning and getting higher in the sky while the air is more comfortable too.

In the end, I may cut 2-3 cords in one winter (like last winter) or I may cut 6-8 cords. I never keep track of how long it takes me or the total time I spend doing the wood. To me it is normal work but pleasant (most of the time). We have no schedule here; if we feel like it, we cut wood. If not, we do something else. As we age we also look at it as good exercise and something we can do without having the aerobic ability of youth.

So, no, I did not vote in the poll.....but I still put up wood.
Well said Dennis.

I almost always cut already felled, usually fallen, trees. Lately I have been cutting, quartering, loading, driving, unloading, splitting, hauling with tractor, and stacking about 1/3 cord in about 6 hours. This is at a leisure pace with the truck pretty close to the tree. Tools are 029 or 036, Fiskars 2 1/4 lb Pro Splitting Axe, with the 4 1/4 lb Super Splitting Axe standing by, F250, and IH Cub Cadet 125 and 12 ft ³ cart. This is with easier splitting Red Oak, Black Locust, or Ash. I could probably do more, but then I'd likely be sore the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.