How many cords can you split a day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cshama

Mar 3, 2009
ny
Assuming I have all the rounds ready and a decent sized splitter- how many rounds is it feasible to split a day. Just trying to do the math on whether it is worth renting a splitter and getting my own wood.

If you are renting a splitter, find some help for the day. When I have all the rounds in a pile, I get a cord split about every 1.5 - 2 hours but I am usually spent after 2 cord. These tend to be bigger rounds, but even smaller ones catch up with you if you try to do it all in one sitting by yourself.

Ditto to what S&W said..."Many hands make light work".

I always respond to this type of question by saying I do it by hand, a few rounds per day, and really enjoy it. It is good excercise, and fun if you don't have to do 2 cords all at once. Instead of spending time renting, moving, learning to use a splitter, returning the splitter, etc., just get out and swing away.

I work alone.

cshama said:
Assuming I have all the rounds ready and a decent sized splitter- how many rounds is it feasible to split a day. Just trying to do the math on whether it is worth renting a splitter and getting my own wood.

Reading your question I get the notion that you are underestimating "getting my own wood" portion of the equation. A lot of work involved, either you love doing it or not most here do.

My take is the amount of rounds you can split in a day is more likely limited by your physical endurance than the capability of the machine.

I rent mine. $ 60 a day for a 37 ton splitter.

I get 4 cords done in a day, which is about right. A cord in 2 hours. Also working alone.

Don't forget the Alieve or Advil!

Status
Not open for further replies.