How many cords can you splitt in a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Splitt 5 cords today just wondering whats a good day splitting? (2people 5 1/2 hrs.)

I would say that is.

Did you split by hand or a power splitter? Either way it's still a good days work. I have 6 cords of Oak I need to split, but I'm waiting for cold weather and then I will go out and split with my Fiskars a little bit at a time so I get a little excercise instead of spending all my time on Hearth.com getting fat.

Todd said:
Did you split by hand or a power splitter? Either way it's still a good days work.

i used a 27 ton splitter vertical large rounds

I'll never know how many I could split in a day because I drop the tree one afternoon. Buck it the next. Haul it out of the woods up the hill in five or six trips the next and split and stack it the next day. So I am about a 3/4 cord a week kinda guy.

BrotherBart said:
I'll never know how many I could split in a day because I drop the tree one afternoon. Buck it the next. Haul it out of the woods up the hill in five or six trips the next and split and stack it the next day. So I am about a 3/4 cord a week kinda guy.

i normally drop it and splitt it at one time never had 10 cords setting waiting to be splitt before

I split my wood by hand. Figure 1 cord = 10-12 beers so after a cord the wife usually takes my axe...................for my safety LMAO!

Can't say that I ever really kept track of it. I always work alone and think two people hustling should more than double what one person does.

I did gauge that I burn about a tank of gas to a cord and if my memory serves me right, I've had to gas up the splitter 4 times in a day.

LLigetfa said:
Can't say that I ever really kept track of it. I always work alone and think two people hustling should more than double what one person does.

I did gauge that I burn about a tank of gas to a cord and if my memory serves me right, I've had to gas up the splitter 4 times in a day.

I remember you saying that a couple days ago so,I was keeping track used almost 3 tanks of fuel. We where also shutting it down when dumping and the other person restocking rounds. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=101162&id=100000000464379 here a pick of it we done 1/2 cord of ash in anoter pile

0.1 cords per day by hand is nothin'--0.2 cords is a lot.

I would say you'll feel it tomorrow LOL! I split 2 cords last month by myself and was feeling it the next day .. I'm 32 and work construction and go to the gym breaking wood with a splitter or by hand is tough work thats why I always say free wood isn't free. It also amazes me how many times you move it before you even burn it.

Burn on.....

about 4 1/2 with a splitter took about 10 - 12hrs s/s one other guy. And really tired after. only reason I did it was because I rented the splitter

I usually split by myself and have done about 3 cords in one day and was whopped after. I had a buddy come over to help me once and didn't enjoy the work as much. I was splitting and throwing in a pile while he was stacking. I found it hard to work with someone who wasn't stacking how I would have stacked the pieces and I'm far from one of the good stackers.

Redburn said:
I would say you'll feel it tomorrow LOL! I split 2 cords last month by myself and was feeling it the next day .. I'm 32 and work construction and go to the gym breaking wood with a splitter or by hand is tough work thats why I always say free wood isn't free. It also amazes me how many times you move it before you even burn it.

Burn on.....
heck i fill it now lol i just turn 44 but work atleast 50 hrs a week aswell so time is very important to get as much don as possable
the kid that helps me most of the time can tell what needs to be done just by a look we never even stop for a break just long enough to gas up again. this is just what iam used to,and he's a farm boy aswell

If I split and stack same day, the stacking really slows me down. Last year I just tossed the splits in a heap and stacked it months later in the shed. Stacking takes me much longer than splitting. I might get two cord split and stacked on a good day. This is the first year that I stacked 8 cord right after I split it. I would split until it ran out of gas and then stack. Toward the end I got tired of stacking and heaped them.

By hand I split and stacked a cord one day. Won't do that again! I usually split about a half cord a day. Any more than that I am too sore or tired for anything else. Splitting is fun for an hour or so. After that and it's just work! A splitter is cheating by the way. I have a few more years of honestly left in me. When I'm old, like 40, then I'll buy the splitter.

lol

About ten years ago ,selling wood for a living, I could block ,split with a maul, and deliver 4 cord . Now I usually spread that same 4 cord over a few weekends . After changing my business ,sold the splitter with 5 second cycle time and 4 way . Boy I miss it %-P

smokinj I think a cord an hour is pretty incredible production for a homeowner splitter...we've never been there before. Good job.

I usually split a cord at a time as that is what fits in my trailer. It takes me on average an hour and a half. I split by myself and toss into a heap.

I split by hand and it doesnt matter how much I get done, an hour or so a day, 4-5 times a week from Oct-Mar keeps me fit both mentally and physically. I try to scrounge on the wknds when I have more time so that I have rounds waiting for the Fiskars during the week. Processed 16 cords last year doing it this way.

I am with LLgetfa, a cord a tank, say 3 tanks in a day for about 5 hours of work. But I usually don't stack it all the same day...I also use a speeco which is a great splitter but not real fast. But hey, I own it and do not need to rush. I may go from a 11 to a 13.6gpm pump if it ever goes south...should speed it up by 20% or so.

I'm on the BroB routine and rarely just split. I can produce ~1 cord per hour if I have the blocks at the splitter and just allow them to pile, but I usually don't split for more than 2 hours at a time before I start doing something else.

p.s. - Burntime - if your ever gonna change pumps, step up to the 16 gpm. Its a very noticeable change in speed from 11, but will also need a 8hp or bigger to pull it.

Me, about 1 cord per month, all manually with chainsaw and a maul. My supplier, 12 cords per day, cut, split, loaded and delivered.

Like others, I walk into the woods, drag back large sections, buck, split all by hand. This fall I'll be taking down 6 or 7 large oak and red maple trees just beyond the back lawn. I'm doing this to open up area to bring in more sun for my seasoning piles. This could take me all winter to buck and split, but there's not much else to from November to opening day at Fenway anyway.

So, 2011/2012 wood cost = my free time, 2 gallons of gas, 2 chains sharpened and about 9 cases of beer (Sammy Octoberfest to Winter Ale to Spring Ale)

smokinj said:
Splitt 5 cords today just wondering whats a good day splitting? (2people 5 1/2 hrs.)

If it's Doug Fir I can split about a cord per hour.

Adler and Maple go a little faster.

Madrona goes about the same.

Hemlock is about 1.5 hours per cord.

Never had enough wood on the ground all at once to see how much I could do in a day.

EDIT - These numbers are hand splitting with the 2.25 lb Fiskars and not stacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.