How Many Cords Do I Buy?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer hitch?
I've thought about that but doesn't the average cord weigh in the neighborhood of 4,000 lbs? That would be a lot of trips...

You should be able to tow a small trailer behind your Subaru.

You can get one of these - http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-l...-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html - put sides on it, and stack a face cord on end. That would be .33 cord cut to 16" avg, .38 a cord cut to 18", .41 cord cut to 20", or .46 cord cut to 22". Or if you are getting 6 cords, that is 18 loads @ 16", 16 loads @ 18", 15 loads @ 20", 13 loads @ 22".

A hitch and a trailer like that (with the ever present 20% off a single item coupon) is probably cheaper than a reliable pickup truck or delivery charges in the long term.

Reactions: northwinds
Thanks Pete,
I do have access to lots of pallets and would like to be able to stack higher, will the wood dry as quickly stacked like this?
-Joe

Yes it will I have found as long as the air and sun can get to it lthe stack no matter the size dries well. Make sure you stack it though not pile ! This is a point of argument I have noticed however the one year I did not stack properly the pile was rotted underneath and we lost about 1/8 of the pile.

Good luck
Pete

I've thought about that but doesn't the average cord weigh in the neighborhood of 4,000 lbs? That would be a lot of trips...

Perhaps. A cord of green wood is a heavy beast.

Just check your towing capacity. I'd bet there are Subaru forums out there much like this one that might have some input on what you can safely pull with your rig.

Random thoughts . . .

Subarus are pretty decent vehicles and while not 1-ton dual wheeled trucks if you get a small trailer to tow behind you may find that useful in the long run on scrounges, Craigslist wood deals, etc. . . . or just make friends with a guy or gal who owns a pick up. ;)

Room to store 5 cords . . . sounds decent . . . contrary to what some folks think . . . there is more to life than just firewood and having a yard for the kids, wife and you is important . . . looking at alternative stacking methods such as holz mietes or the various ways folks stack higher (while remaining safer) may be an option to squeeze in another cord of firewood.

I think kiln dried wood will be your best choice. In looking at one local firewood dealer I see that they have "seasoned" wood . . . but they define their seasoned wood as wood that has been cut and left in tree length for a year and then on the day or so before delivery they buck it up and split it . . . my own definition of burning seasoned wood in my EPA woodstove is wood that has been cut down, bucked up, split and stacked for at least a year prior . . . I will almost guarantee you that attempting to burn the firewood dealer's definition of "seasoned" wood will make you question if wood heat is worth it as most folks would be disappointed trying to burn that "seasoned" wood in an EPA woodstove.

I tried the compressed wood blocks once . . . they worked OK in my Jotul . . . but I definitely preferred regular ol' firewood.

Finally, trust me . . . we will not get sick of you . . . as long as you provide us with pics of your stove, stacks of firewood and steaming cups of coffee.

Here are a few pics of what I have found to be the safest way to stack high in a bin. The sides are the biggest thing to keeping it straight and not falling. You may not need to do this with 4*4 pallets but anything taller and it may be a good idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 427
Who are you buying your kiln dried from? I live about 40 minutes north of you and know someone in between us that sells it.

I would say that with your epa stove you should be able to get by with 4 cord or so. Use the propane on days it's not super cold out and save the wood for when it's 0 degrees outside.

We moved from Colorado to Maine one year ago in April and couldn't believe how much it cost to heat our drafty new (150 year old) home!
So this year we've purchased a brand new Woodstock Progress Hybrid which we are having installed this week.
Now the question is how much wood do I need to buy to heat my home and only use the propane when we're out of town. Here are the factors I think are important:
  • Our house is about 1500 sf.
  • Our house is poorly insulated and drafty.
  • Our house is 2 stories.
  • The ceilings on the lower level are 9 1/2' feet (seemed like such a nice feature until we stated to heat that empty space).
  • My wife and children are home all day.
  • This past winter we kept the house at 62 degrees during the day, 56 degrees at night. We "got used to it" but were far from comfortable and it still cost a fortune to heat.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

have you thought about having blown insulation put in?
they can do it from the exterior of the house I am told and its suppose to be pretty effective.
our house is similar to what you describe and we were quoted $1700 for the insulation.

have you thought about having blown insulation put in?
they can do it from the exterior of the house I am told and its suppose to be pretty effective.
our house is similar to what you describe and we were quoted $1700 for the insulation.

I've thought about it and actually met a guy that owns an insulation business but I thought it would be far more expensive, I'll have to look into it.

2 1/2 cords 1 year + seasoned, 1 "seasoned" from a dealer, and 2 green. I'm hoping the green does some good drying just in case I need to use a significant amount of it.
Going to get a moisture meter in the fall and check it all out then.
2012-06-20 16.46.04.jpg2012-06-20 16.46.33.jpg

Attachments

• 2012-06-20 16.45.08.jpg
    2012-06-20 16.45.08.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 500
Reactions: raybonz
Looks good CCS, depending on what the green wood is it may be ready in time. If you need to stack more wood you could make some bins like Pallet Pete did out of pallets, I copied his idea, it allows you to stack higher in a smaller footprint.

Look'n good
The green stuff, If it's not oak, should be good to burn later this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.