How many cords do I get from ten 12"-log?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how long they are. 3.14159* Radius in feet squared (0.5*0.5) * lenght in feet = cubic feet of solid wood. Multiply that by about 1.25 for the volume in stacked wood. Divide that by 128 to convert to cords.

edit oops forgot to square the radius

right around 3/4 cord then. Someone better check my math though

midwestcoast said:
right around 3/4 cord then. Someone better check my math though

I figure pretty close to a cord, .
Cord is a stack of wood 128 cubic feet, including the air spaces.

quote forestry dept:
A cord is a lot of wood - sometimes. It is usually your state's legal unit of measure for wood. You are buying a unit of wood based on 128 cubic feet of condensed, stacked roundwood including bark and some air confined to an area 4 feet by 4 feet by 8 feet. Solid wood with no air or bark has a volume of from 85 to 110 depending on many variables.

Wikipedia:
In the United States and Canada, firewood is usually sold by the full cord, face cord or bag.

A full cord or bush cord measures four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet long (1.2m × 1.2m × 2.4m) and has a volume of 128 cubic feet (3.6 m3). The most common firewood piece length is 16 inches (41 cm), or one-third of a full cord.[10] The actual wood volume of a cord may be in the range of 80 to 100 cubic feet as stacked wood takes up more space then a piece of solid wood.

A cord of rounds C/S/S is more than a cord, :bug: more air spaces IMO,
but most of my wood is not straight grain & stacks with more air than perfect straight splits.

OK so 12 inch logs and 10 feet long....

(.5*.5)* 3.14 * 10

.25*3.14*10

.785*10

7.85 per log

7.85*10= 78.5 cubic feet of wood.

This assumes the logs are 12 inch logs at both ends...

Shawn

3/4 to 1 cord sounds about right. depends on how well it splits and stacks.

shawneyboy said:
OK so 12 inch logs and 10 feet long....

(.5*.5)* 3.14 * 10

.25*3.14*10

.785*10

7.85 per log

7.85*10= 78.5 cubic feet of wood.

This assumes the logs are 12 inch logs at both ends...

Shawn

That's 78.5 cu ft of solid wood. Stacked should come out to more

Oh I agree, I just did the math. When you stack it it could be a cord or if you stack it the way some resellers stack it maybe a cord and a quarter.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.