HOW MANY CORDS HAVE YOU BURNED SO FAR THIS YEAR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try not to shout. Used right around 2 cord to date, starting in October. Have only burned oil for dhw (I did not want to shout DHW). Mostly maple, beech, and some yellow birch. Quite happy with the performance of the Lopi, and it really needs to crank tonight, windy and sub-zero.

gerry100 said:
Little less than 1.5 cords - started just before thanksgiving

Same here. Just about all oak.

Looks like I am on the high end, just checked this morning and I have used a hair under 3 cords. About half of it was soft/junk wood - willow/pine/somewhat punky.
Got a tad over 15 cord c/s/s with about 1/2 of it ready if needed for this year.
Heading out cutting this afternoon.
The FPX Elite 44 is a hungry machine, works great but has a big appetite... and my girls love it warm in the house.

Hey all,

Not sure if this is still active thread but I have burned a little over 4 cords here in cold RI. It has been a cold winter but the house is nice and warm. One of the things I'd like to understand for those of you that have burned 2 cords and under is 1. Size of house and 2. amount of heating required.

For me:

2800sq ft house (3 stories - close 3rd floor in winter)
Burn 24x7 starting in Oct and till the pallets are empty (March). I have a stay at home wife and one child at home still. House is at warmest 74 and cools down to about 65 after a long night burn. Oil only comes on during extreme cold mornings when temp is in single digits (due to wind chill). I would guess that my consumption would be probably half to 3/4 if there was no one home during the day and I could do two long burns a day with hot fast burns in morning and evening hours.

thanks all - this is a fantastic site and appreciate all the knowledge.

RF

Hi rfrazier :)
What kind of stove are you running? Nice to see another 24/7 burner!

Hi hareball -

fireplace extraordinaire Elite 44

The year before we got the fireplace I spent close to $4K in oil and decided to swear off the oilman.

Last Year - I bought firewood (7.5 cords) plus some of my own cuttings for a total of $800 spent plus about $700 in total Oil costs (we didn't get the fireplace till Dec, Nov bill alone was almost $550)
so a positive year compared to 2007 (agree oil was out of sight that year but who knew it would recover)

This year - I spent about $1200 on wood (11+ cords) and only one oil bill so far - $160 !! woohoo!!

I figure at an average savings of $2K this thing would pay for itself in two to three years - looks like I'm right on track.

Noticed your tag - I think I have a little mason in me, I built a dry stacked wall, 120' in length, about 4' in height. It was a ton (no pun intended) of work but very relaxing if you enjoy back breaking work. :)
Take a peek at some pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rfrazier27/StoneWallSideYard#
oh yeah that is a fig tree standing in the yard. My grandfather took it home from Italy and I have been tending it for the past 8 years after he passed. It requires me to bury it each year to keep it insulated and dry.

I am down one cord of oak and probably a half cord of softwood that got burned in the early stages. I don't keep up with the softwood count. I am a third of the way through this years hardwood stacks. But next years wood has been sitting there for two years so if needed...

rfrazier said:
Hi hareball -

fireplace extraordinaire Elite 44

The year before we got the fireplace I spent close to $4K in oil and decided to swear off the oilman.

Last Year - I bought firewood (7.5 cords) plus some of my own cuttings for a total of $800 spent plus about $700 in total Oil costs (we didn't get the fireplace till Dec, Nov bill alone was almost $550)
so a positive year compared to 2007 (agree oil was out of sight that year but who knew it would recover)

This year - I spent about $1200 on wood (11+ cords) and only one oil bill so far - $160 !! woohoo!!

I figure at an average savings of $2K this thing would pay for itself in two to three years - looks like I'm right on track.

Noticed your tag - I think I have a little mason in me, I built a dry stacked wall, 120' in length, about 4' in height. It was a ton (no pun intended) of work but very relaxing if you enjoy back breaking work. :)
Take a peek at some pics here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rfrazier27/StoneWallSideYard#
oh yeah that is a fig tree standing in the yard. My grandfather took it home from Italy and I have been tending it for the past 8 years after he passed. It requires me to bury it each year to keep it insulated and dry.

Thats a beautiful wall! I love the stone prperty lines I always saw in Vermont. What used to be bare mountains and stone wall propert lines is now covered with soft and hard woods and the stone still remains. I like how it runs with the road then heads up the mountain through the woods!
I hope your wall lasts hundreds and hundreds of years. :)

about 2/3 cord of oak since October.........most in the last two weeks!

A little over 2 cords here since October.

I've just wrapped up my second cord yesterday. Kicked in the wood burner on November 1st, 3200 square feet. I was hoping to get through to March 1st on 3.5 cord. That would be awesome but I might go over a little....we'll see how Jan/Feb treat us.

Just about half way through third. We average a cord a month...for six months...

rfrazier said:
Hey all,

Not sure if this is still active thread but I have burned a little over 4 cords here in cold RI. It has been a cold winter but the house is nice and warm. One of the things I'd like to understand for those of you that have burned 2 cords and under is 1. Size of house and 2. amount of heating required.

For me:

2800sq ft house (3 stories - close 3rd floor in winter)
Burn 24x7 starting in Oct and till the pallets are empty (March). I have a stay at home wife and one child at home still. House is at warmest 74 and cools down to about 65 after a long night burn. Oil only comes on during extreme cold mornings when temp is in single digits (due to wind chill). I would guess that my consumption would be probably half to 3/4 if there was no one home during the day and I could do two long burns a day with hot fast burns in morning and evening hours.

thanks all - this is a fantastic site and appreciate all the knowledge.

RF

I'm into my 4Th cord now . My house temps are about the same as yours and i heat 3000 feet in the dead of winter but have 1600 feet more that we close the door on if its below 30o .

I'm heating with a hearthstone equinox
John

2 Cords since mid-october. Mostly Scarlet and White Oak. Have 3 cords of 3 year old Black Cherry,White Pine and a bit of Apple.

First year burning with the Castine and we love this stove. Heating a open floor plan, 1500sqft Cape here in Plymouth. During the single digit and low teen temps we has last week the Jotul has no problem bringing the downstairs to 73 and upstairs too 71. Oil Co. called and asked if we need a delivery and my wife happily declined!!!

Broke out the tape measure tonight after restocking the the indoor pile....

I am down to 73 ft. started with 128 in mid October....(55x1.5x4)/128 = 2.58 cords used so far.

Regulation heat wave arrived this week with temps breaking 30 degrees. That'll help.

Stay Warm!

Attachments

• WoodPileSnowSm.jpg
    WoodPileSnowSm.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 227
olpotosi said:
Broke out the tape measure tonight after restocking the the indoor pile....

I am down to 73 ft. started with 128 in mid October....(55x1.5x4)/128 = 2.58 cords used so far.

Looks like some easy btus in that treeline behind your woodpile.

Status
Not open for further replies.