1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How many cords in a 30 yard container?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by scfa99, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    Might have found a place that sells in bulk, been tough to find these days. Anyway they can deliver log lengths in a 30 yard container. Any idea approximately how many cords it holds?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    30 yards * 27 cu ft per yard = 810 cu ft / 128 cu ft per cord = 6.328125.

Give or take. ;-)
  3. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    30 yard container ... or 30 ft. (long?) container? OP says one in title, other in post.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  4. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Good point - I used what was in the title. If it's 30ft, it's hard to tell, as you need the rest of the dimensions of the container.

I suspect it really is a 30 yard dumpster the OP is talking about though - I've seen them used to deliver all kinds of stuff. There is one company around here that uses 'em as dump trucks. ;-)
  5. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    good catch sorry, 30 yard container. newstove thanks for the figure. realistically what should i expect when you factor in airspace (i know it depends on size of trees etc) just trying to figure out if its worth 5 bills.
  6. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Edit: You said log length (my bad for not reading carefully) - I'm not sure realsistically how much would be there... Depends on if the logs go the whole length of the container, how small they are, etc.

I would guess at least 4 cords?
  7. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    5 cord tops.
  8. wellbuilt home

wellbuilt home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    It depends on how its loaded . Ive seen 6.5 cord out of a 30YD dumpster but it was stuffed tight and heaped up in the middle . As Lee said 5 cord seams about right.
    I can get almost 3 cord in my 12 yard dumpster if i stuff it . 500 dollars seems to be 200 dollars high for a 30yard box .
    John
  9. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    I can get 1 full cord cut to length, split and delivered for $120 per single cord from one supplier and for $133 per cord (when I buy 3) from another supplier. I wouldn't pay $100 per estimated cord in log length because the work still has to be done and athere is a percentage loss when converting logs into "stacked" fire wood. It pays to shop around.
  10. newstove

newstove Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    Yup, depends where you are. In this area, cut/split/delivered green wood is going for $160/cord best price by one guy. Most are at $190-$250/cord green C/S/D. Seasoned C/S/D starts at $225/cord and goes up from there (some are charging $350 and up!)

If you are lucky, you can find log length for $100/cord, delivered. Then you have to get them to actually show up and deliver it.

And, on top of that, many of the firewood sellers are shorting people. Their "cord" is really about 3/4 cord most of the time... I know a bunch of wood burners who have been burned by the various suppliers around here...

*sigh*
  11. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I believe standard shipping containers are 8x9xwhatever length (30 ft in this case)

8x9x30 = 2160

2160/128 = 16.875 cord, no?
  12. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I think he's talking an open dumpster, not a sealed container.
  13. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    yeh i wish, split cord wood is 200 - 300 in this area, they also short you, mix in popular and low btw crap and split it thin. even though its a ton of work, i want to make sure every split is a certain length and I like to have a lot of large diameter splits for overnight burns. I used to be able to get log length cords for 50-70 a cord before new construction went bust, now no one is clearing lots.
  14. digger odell

digger odell New Member

Loc:
    orange co., ny
    If you are in North Jersey there is a company in Warwick NY that has 30 yard dumpsters of wood for $350 delivered. Material Processor is their name. FYI.
  15. wellbuilt home

wellbuilt home Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NY
    I live a few miles from them and they are good to work with , nice people . I buy from them some times and get 5.5 cord most of the time . I dont think they will go to far to deliver . John
  16. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be insensitive. Geographics can be a bummer. There is a guy up north that will deliver 10 cord log length oak for about $130 a cord but right now that is out of my budget with the work that goes with it. He advertises on CL and seems to be quite reputable. I hope you can find something like that. The guy I have doing the $133/3 has a a processor and delivers green from the logging site. It's good for him but it is driving the "tops" price out of the profitable loop for the pick-up sales guys. Been there done that and can't do it no more. We've lost a number of mills in this area too.
  17. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    A little further North, I paid $100 CDN a cord for Ash. That's around $90 USD now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.