How many cords in this big bad oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Gonna take it down sometime after deer season. It's huge with side branches that are at least 18-24". Many, many years ago there was a powerline overhead and tree was topped occasionaly. Good thing is there is nothing in the way when I drop it, as long as I park my truck/trailer in the distance. lol.......

Maybe I should have Dennis over and he can show me all the advantages of splitting the main trunk vertical!

Attachments

• rps20111111_175746.jpg
    rps20111111_175746.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 1,070
On first guess I'm gonna say between 2 and 3 cords.TY

I'm guessing 1.5 to 2 cords

1 1/2 cords max, there isn't much above that first 7-10 ft.

Why take it down? I got 5 cord of Oak this summer from someone who wanted more light in their backyard. I was thinking to myself I wish I had 3' diameter perfectly straight Oaks in my backyard. I quickly got over it before I said anything stupid.

About how tall is that trunk?

I'm thinking 2-3 as well. Maybe more. I should have parked my truck next to it for a reference . It's about 12 feet to first branch. Pic doesn't do it justice at all.

SolarAndWood said:
Why take it down?

Trees that big start to rot in the middle. They become ticking timebombs, waiting to fall where and when they shouldn't. Better to harvest it now in a controlled manner.. plus there will be less punky wood.

Very hard to estimate that way when they are still standing but in my experience never as much as you think. I give it WAG at 1.5.

I see a cord of wood there. Maybe.

That thing could be a nightmare to take down. Well, the cutting down won't be so bad but with all those limbs, the trunk will be far off the ground. Be very careful cutting that thing! Give me a jingle and I'll split that sucker for you.

babzog said:
SolarAndWood said:
Why take it down?

Trees that big start to rot in the middle. They become ticking timebombs, waiting to fall where and when they shouldn't. Better to harvest it now in a controlled manner.. plus there will be less punky od.[/quo

My neighbor farms and on this 40 acres he has about 6 acres of woods he wants cleared out. Whatever I don't take he is gonna use his backhoe and have some huge fires. I figure I better get it while the getting is good! Kinda strange that there is no ash on this property. Lots of oak, Apple, cherry, and locust tho!

Sounds like you ran into a gold mine there!

wishlist said:
babzog said:
SolarAndWood said:
Why take it down?

Trees that big start to rot in the middle. They become ticking timebombs, waiting to fall where and when they shouldn't. Better to harvest it now in a controlled manner.. plus there will be less punky od.

My neighbor farms and on this 40 acres he has about 6 acres of woods he wants cleared out. Whatever I don't take he is gonna use his backhoe and have some huge fires. I figure I better get it while the getting is good! Kinda strange that there is no ash on this property. Lots of oak, Apple, cherry, and locust tho!

Gotcha. My buddy with a farm looks at wood like a liability too. Lost a bar on one of the mammoth Maples in front of the old farmhouse a couple years ago. Steel spikes 1, Oregon 0.

I see a cord and a half of wood, tops, and a s-load of brush.

If you keep everything 4" & up.
Split & stacked 3.25 cords.
3 years from now, when it's well seasoned & dry, 3.1 cords.
Not counting all the "backyard fires" with the small stuff.
Might want to do some 'Liming" before you fall it. :)

Backwoods Savage said:

Yea, I was already 3 years ahead with all the scrounging of ash I do. It's nice to cut something different but that oak gets heavier as the day goes on. No problem letting all this wood season , my father in law thinks it will rot first. Lol....

Hey Dave, I was thinking I can easily do some limbing in the tree first. Definitely gonna take my time and think it thru.

Think I need a red milk carton to sit on and some hot coffee while Dennis splits?

Sure thats oak? There is not one leave hanging.

wishlist said:

Can I be your friend? :)

wishlist said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yea, I was already 3 years ahead with all the scrounging of ash I do. It's nice to cut something different but that oak gets heavier as the day goes on. No problem letting all this wood season , my father in law thinks it will rot first. Lol....

Hey Dave, I was thinking I can easily do some limbing in the tree first. Definitely gonna take my time and think it thru.

Think I need a red milk carton to sit on and some hot coffee while Dennis splits?

Definitely
a from the Top - Down approach

Nice to have good neighbors like Dennis. I bet he can keep you hustling while he's splitting, not much sitting time :)

200 cubic feet tops.
I'd be surprised at but welcome more.

I have a white oak that grew vertical branches like that after ( I think it was ) Hurricane Belle tore a good half of the top off.

I'm thinking that tree is a lot bigger than a lot of you guys are thinking. Get a picture of it with someone standing next to it, what is the DBH? The limbs going straight up look like the size of small tree's to me but hard to tell without something to compare it against.

Status
Not open for further replies.