How many cords on average do you get a year, and how many do you burn through per season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jones

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2012
Kennewick, Washington
Just curious what others burn through a year. I've got about 6 cords inside my house/unfinished basement. I used to use the stove downstairs, but family members have moved out, and I've moved to only fires upstairs. Makes to be a pain having to refill the wood holder making multiple trips upstairs with loads in the arms, but well worth it since we didn't really use the electric central heat once last year. I still have lots of room left, and I guess I'll take it if I can find it. It's all free wood I've found off of Craigslist, even though it's not the super nice stuff you buy. Mostly cotton/poplar wood. Not ideal, but it still makes heat, and it's free.

I go through about 2 cord of wood a year, give or take 1/4th of a cord. But look where I live. Currently, I have 13 cord C/S/S, Of that 13 cord, 7 is fresh C/S/S within the last month or so. So I'm a minimum of 5 heating seasons ahead, likely more!

Edited to add: Square feet of heated living space, about 920. Roof space including the overhangs and the covered porch 1554 square feet

Last edited:
I use close to 6 cords. But i have a big old house.

Four cords of rounds. For three years ahead. Last year was almost 4.5 cord. Bad winter in MA. Hoping between 3-4 this year. I finally got a liner this year. Excited to see some gain in efficiency!

Last two winters ate up 5.5-6 cord each. Have ten on site, but only 4.5 really ready for this year. I hope the rumors of a milder el nino influenced winter are true.

Here in Central Jersey I usually burn 2 1/2 to 4 cord per year. Last year was close to 4 but it was a rough winter that went on and on. Plus Mama likes to be warm.

I have about 12 cord c/s with about 5 of those at about 18-20% mc. The other 7 is about 21-27% but that is for next year and year after.

May have a big storm coming this weekend so there may be lots of wood available in the next few weeks to hold prices down a little. Been high around here around $250-$300 per cord. That's high for here.

I've got about 6 cords inside my house/unfinished basement.
You probably are not getting very good drying in there either. In many cases you may even take on water in a basement.

Reactions: Mflinehan
The last stove we went through about 4-5 cord. This year we got a bigger stove with longer burn times. I have 5 cord set back for this year, then have wood split and stacked until the year 2018 and got 2019 home just need to get it split and in a rack, when one get empty. All my racks are 4 foot wide and 5 foot 6 tall are full , 6- 16 footers , 1 -20 foot and a 8 footer and 2 - 4x4x5 tall full of shorts.

I hope the rumors of a milder el nino influenced winter are true.
The rumors might be true! Even the Woolly Worms are indicating a warmer winter and they say those caterpillars are 80 some % right. Add to it the hummingbirds are late in migrating. I have two still hitting the feeders. Either they are stragglers or they might overwinter here. They have been hanging out on my porch during the excessive rains. About 19 inches over the last week, and 5 to 6 more inches expected tomorrow. If that's not enough, they are also saying it will continue raining until Tuesday.

Maybe we should start building an Ark instead of wood sheds and piles! Nah! !!!

That's a lot of wood inside the house!
I went and re measured. It's not totally full yet, but when it is, one area is 1.7 cords, and the other wall is 3.9 cords, so that's 5.6 cords when totally full. I've got about 4.5 right now, so another truck load should fill her up. 1/3 of it is from last year, and it was already dry, since I bought that. The rest is free, but it's mostly cotton/poplar, so it's not very dense and drys out real fast when split. I can still fit more, like maybe two cords if I start on the other side of the wall, and basically fill in that part of the basement, leaving a walk way. Then I still have a quarter of the garage I can fill with my boat in there. In all, I could probably fit another 4 cords, bringing it to around 9.6 to ten cords.

I don't really have any land to stack it in the back since I'm in the city. I could get some out back, but I'd have to go up a flight of stairs with every load. This way, it doesn't take up my driveway, and an ugly blue tarp sitting outside like last season, and I don't have to go out in the cold to grab wood, and down the stairs each time, then back up through the front door. I simply throw my little electric splitter on my tailgate, split, then load all this from my truck into a wheelbarrow, and in through the garage, and into my basement. Half is unfinished, and the other half is. I do however have to spray for spiders, etc each year, lol.

Attachments

• 20151001_200517.jpg
    20151001_200517.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 230
  • 20150930_130539.jpg
    20150930_130539.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
I think I burn between 2 1/2 and 4 cords per year. It's hard for me to tell because I always burn a lot of construction debris which I acquire during the season. It usually gets burned shortly after being brought home, so it's very hard to quantify how much that accounts for. I am also inconsistent with the amount of wood I acquire each year. Some years I've had over ten cords. Currently I have about six- most of which is not seasoned to my liking. I am hoping to pick up a ton of envi blocks to help offset my less than satisfactory wood and extend my cord wood supply.

I burn 6-8 cords per year. I have room for ten cords, butbi give two to charity every year and burn the rest.

Currently have 10 cord c/s/s . 4 cord fresh split but getting more for getting ahead sake. I was burning average 7 cord /yr but that was a 35 yr old stove. New stove is installed and praying it drops to around 5 cord yr . Also have 2 ton of coal to try in new stove this season .

I usually go through 3.5 so I have 4 cord ready for this winter just in case.
I had 4 in the barn last year and went through it all since it was so cold.

4 split and stacked, last winter we burned over six, hoping this year is not so bad.

First year in the house with not-so-seasoned wood, one stove, and a "polar vortex", we burned about 5. Last year with much better wood, two stoves, and very-cold-but-not-deadly cold, we burned 4. I would have expected to burn about the same, if not more wood with two stoves going, but we were able to reload based on "how warm is the house" rather than "how much fire is in the stove", and it actually reduced the amount we used.

between 4-6 cords for the whole season mixed hardwoods- Little hard to tell as I have 3 cord stacked inside small garage in 2, 20 ft long by 6.5ft high rows. I tend to refill the first row as the season wears on and lose track. Not a difficulty as their is some 20+ cords outside 4 years old plus about 7 1.5 years old and 5 in process now. getting lazy as I accumulate years.

Last edited:
I burned about 4.5 cords last year but I also shut it down prematurely in the beginning of March at the first nice weekend. It was my very first winter burning wood and I won't make that mistake again.

I have a total of ~45 cords c/s/s and last winter/spring I processed 16 cord. What I process a year all depends on what I feel like doing and what I can find dead/fallen. I mainly set out to replace what I expect to burn that winter....5-6 cord. I normally cut/haul in winter and then split/stack what I have accumulated towards spring.

Saying how much wood you burned without saying how large of a space you were heating is kinda silly...

My house is around 1200 sf, this will be my first winter burning here, hoping to use around 3 cords.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
2400 SF.

Last season was my first real season burning, started in November with a smoke dragon and newly delivered wet wood. Probably burned 4 cords, so I would say 5 if I burned all season.

This year much better wood although not perfect and will be supplementing with Envi blocks. So the overall fuel will be much better, and I have a new Blaze King which will use less wood. I would imagine 4 cords with the blocks, less if I'm lucky.

This year brought down trees and the wood is still drying, between 5-6 cords. Some trees were dying. I'm hoping to go through only half of it this year with the blocks. Next year should be a good year if my hickory dries.

I will be getting more wood for 17-18 season as soon as I figure where I'm going to put it.

5 but last 2 winters went over. 5 accurate cords. On a 3400 sqr'house. The stove is not located in an ideally efficient location. The more I have available the more I burn.
It still suppliments fuel oil boiler. The house is zoned with areas that can be completely shut off. So heating footprint can become smaller.
If I heat with straight fuel oil, its 500 gallons. At around 60°.
The wood is free from woodlot.

Status
Not open for further replies.