How many cords will this turn into....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOOC1

Jan 7, 2008
MA-VT-RI
The power company was cutting trees on my company's property. Everdently the arborist from National Grid came in & saw my secretary. Told her they were coming to trim & drop some trees that could interfere with the power lines. They gave her two options, cut & take everything away or leave the logs. She thought it was great that they would clean everything up & take everything away so she signed the paperwork to have everything removed! Turns out it was 62 trees....all large ash, oak, cherry & hickory!! I was out of town for two weeks & when I came back I caught them at the tail end of the cutting. I ran up to the foreman & offered cash. He didn't seem too happy & indicated that the paperwork had already been signed & they were almost done!! They dropped off a partial load for me. How many cords of wood will this turn into? Also what type of wood is it. I'm guessing mostly ash, and white oak. I wissed out on about 6 truckloads. When I say truckloads I mean large rolloff type containers I guess they hold 5 cords each. Where do these company's take these logs that they are basically getting for free? I gave the guy $70.00 cash and told him I would have cash for him everytime he had a load of logs. He never came back! Wood seems to be like gold these days. On my way home every night I see guys lined up allong the roads loading their pickups with wood left on other peoples property. Any thoughts on what type of wood this is & a guestimate on how many cords this might be? Now I need to buy a log splitter.

Attachments

• firewood 004.jpg
    firewood 004.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 398
  • firewood 003.jpg
    firewood 003.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 416
  • firewood 002.jpg
    firewood 002.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 450
  • firewood 001.jpg
    firewood 001.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 421
My guess is 3-4 cord

Nice score! - Bad timing I guess - I hope your secretary still has a job!!

I'd guess a good 3 cord. The pictures come out pretty small, so its a little hard to tell, but the 1st pic looks to be cherry - the shots of the pile look like some maple and ash or poplar. For $70 that's a real nice load.

thats a real good deal. The lowest I paid per cord of logs was $65.

The pics don't blow up bigger for me in a new window so I can't guess, but red oak here are often two colors like the ones in the bottom pic. So is cherry but cherry here is rarely nice and straight, and the bark is usually a bit darker, especially that size.

It all looks like hardwood and hardwood is usually worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.