How many cords will you burn this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng

Nov 9, 2006
I burn about 4 cords per year in a wood stove. My neihbor burns about 6-7 in his wood furnace. Our homes are about the same size. I am just wondering because I filled the wood shed today and I am mighty sick of firewood right now. I cannot fathom loading another stick much less 3 more chords. How much wood do you burn in a season?

We toast around four cords of hardwood and a cord of pine here running two stoves.

Don't know....will let you know at the end of the year LOL they say this will be the worst winter in 40 years....we"ll see I wnet through about 1 1/4 cord for the second half of last winter, started burning fisrt of January. I am guessing 4 cord. I have 7 stacked

We just doubled the size of our house and went from a Lopi Answer to a Jotul F600, so this first winter with the new configuration will be an experiment. I am expecting to use about four cords heating 98% of the time with wood (the other 2% will be for when we go away and have to burn gas).

I was thinking 6 cords but probably more like 4. New house and the first year I have had a chance to really burn in it. I used to go through about 6 in our old farmhouse rental with an old Kodiak double door. Worse case, I have half of next years wood cut and split as well.

Tripper

north of 60 said:
7+ As we havent had summer yet. We had a high of 20c for two days. Average was 15-16c for the highs.

I told you before North of 60. You have winter, Thursday, then winter again. :wow:

ILL burn 2 1/2 in the shop, and 3 1/2 in the house. If like last winter, so far its been rather warm in Michigan

Ive burned 31/2 to 4 cord a year for years but now i have a new hearthstone Equinox I think the EQ is a better stove then my old VC DW cat , but i think i mite burn the new stove with more wood and keep the house warmer then i would have with the DW. I have been lighting a fire at night and letting it burn out , and the house is staying warm all day . I thru a few logs in the EQ a few nights ago and we had to go to bed . The stove cooked us out of the living room .My wife wont let me burn until its in the low 40s .

My friend just had his 1 cord firewood delivered and i went to see how much wood one cord has. I was wowed about the size of the pile.
Now, 7 cords!!, i can't image how you burned 7 cords...

jie said:
My friend just had his 1 cord firewood delivered and i went to see how much wood one cord has. I was wowed about the size of the pile.

Done six many a year in the old stove. And we aren't supposed to even have real winters here. Burning six or seven cords is a whole lot easier than cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking it. :shut:

jie said:

Whats your location and how many months do you burn? Just imagine feeding your stove for 8-10 months. 7+ cords isnt bad.
We had -2C and snow the 1st of June. The only month I havent had the stove lit was August and mostly because I wasnt here.
We usually get +25c here for a few months which makes me feel like Iam gonna melt. The end of May and August was the warmest.
N of 60

Well,well experiencing is believing.. Can`t hardly believe how little the new beast burns and for so much more heat. Problem is , now I am saving for another Big Screen for the upstairs for when we get cooked out of the downstairs--no kidding!!

Don`t buy anything on credit, so maybe have to suffer one more winter in the room with the bear, and then, for sure another Big Screen for the upstairs. When I can pay cash for it. And then all will be balanced.

Oh, and for those who think it is a waste--always telling my wife, no need to travel, just take a look at that HD pic, it comes to you, free of air fare dollars, and all that other anxiety that comes with it. Trying to get me on an airplane again, will be like"pulling the teeth out of the magic dragon".. Not gonna happen :cheese:

First full winter with my new Jotul 550. I have about 4 1/2 cords waiting. With my old Napoleon 1101 I went through 2 to 2 1/2 cords a winter. This new insert is a lot bigger and so far has been eating more wood....as I get more efficient at using it I hope to come down in consumption.

The older I get the more I like to be warm so since we are around the house a lot I kinda add wood more often than people who start a fire in the morning and then are gone all day. I try to maintain temps around 72*-74*. On warmer days - like in the 40's - I can do that with a couple of loads of wood in the morning and early afternoon. After that the temp. stays up the rest of the day and no more wood is needed. On colder days the insert is kept busy and is fed more often....

i hope not more then 3 cords

Got six stacked stacked nice and tight in the new woodshed. That should do it.

Got 8+ stacked and ready...it's a little bit more than I had last year and last year I ran out in late April >:-(

First year burning for me. I've got about 5 cord of hardwood and from what "everybody" says that should be enough. I hope "they" are correct.

I'm guessing around 3 cords, perhaps less. My keystone stove seems pretty damn efficient.

Not sure yet, as I have a new Jotul Rockland, and it has been many years since burning wood for heat. We made the decison on this unit late in the year, so I am behind in wood supply (basically I have what was accumulated for the fireplace and the outdoor firepit, which is about 3.5 to 4 cords now). I'm in better shape for next winter, as I already have 4 cords stacked, another 1 waiting to be processed and stacked, and at least 3 more waiting to be pulled out of the woods.

Wonder why those outdoor boiler guys never respond to threads like this one. Is it because it would be like 10 cords and 50 tires,

I figure 3 cords of mostly white birch and sugar maple + 1 cord of mostly pine = 4 cords

±3 cords of red oak, sugar maple, cherry, and some white birch depending on the seasonal temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.