How many cords will you burn this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully just a few splits less than I have split and stacked!

7-10 cords here.

Three to four cord. We have ten cord stacked. It's like mone in the bank.

Jim

6 or a bit more in two stoves. Oak, ash, sycamore some cedar and blk. walnut.

One, maybe less if it's a mild winter. Small house.
I don't burn 24/7.

Bro has a big house he'll do four or five.

Just had three 80- 90 (hard to count through the bleeding pitch)year old pines taken down (they get messy) , had to hire climbers they couldn't be felled.
Had them toss the logs in the woods because I have plenty of oak and cherry, (and plenty of oak and cherry standing that needs to come down) but I'm thinkin' of haulin it back out if I get a chance. I would have to have paid PER POUND to have it hauled off. Crazy. Town can't know it was just tossed, either. They charge per pound for stumps, too.

My Olympic will chew through 4-4.5 cords. I have 6 or so stacked. My new-to-me Castine will get the other 1.5-2. Hopefully that will be enough for the 2 guys to get along!

I'm figuring 5 cords last year was 6.
I have 3 or 4 cords ready to go now, assorted hard wood lots of maple since the power company took a bunch down by my parents house last year and very few people will take giant roadside wood. I've hit plenty of metal in them, nails, taps, and a gate hinge.
Also figuring on 4 cords of pine in the evaporator come spring. Of which I have 2 ready and am hauling in more pine slabs this weekend.

Burning softwoods in two stoves I expect to go though 6 cords, one face cord, two ricks and about 24 ferrets. Rick

Depending on the length of the burning season (started September 30th, ends who knows) I usually burn between 3 and 4 cords of wood in my 3100i and Englander 13NCL. The 3100i is my primary and the Englander is my supplementary/den heater.

I burn mostly Douglas/Red Fir with a small amount of pine and I typically use White Fir for kindling.

Figuring on a colder winter, a SWAG says 3 - 3 1/2 cords maximum here. In the older stove we'd have said 6 - 6 1/2. Love that soapstone stove.

fossil said:
Burning softwoods in two stoves I expect to go though 6 cords, one face cord, two ricks and about 24 ferrets. Rick

Fully seasoned ferrets I assume. I've seen the havoc wet ones can create. ;-)

dunno how many
dunno
don't even know how much i have thats really ready to be burned .... maybe 2 cords
but dunno if the other six or whatever is ready..
dunno
dunno

I approve BB message too

Hanko said:
Wonder why those outdoor boiler guys never respond to threads like this one. Is it because it would be like 10 cords and 50 tires,

They are afraid to admit how many ostriches they burn Hanko

Hope to burn 2-3 cords, if I run out I could burn my extension cords(the coating on copper is pretty), hopefully I dont need to get into my curtain cords, or worse yet my corduroy pants. :cheese:

woodconvert said:
Got 8+ stacked and ready...it's a little bit more than I had last year and last year I ran out in late April >:-(

8 cord, or 8 face cord. If your burning 8 full cord you must have a big house, or have giant holes in it. Thats alot of wood for a Jotul, say it isnt so.

I have 12 cord, may not be enough.

I hope around 3 cords. last year I went through 2 and wish I had more. I have a little more than 4 cords. I have probably 2-3 more to process for next year. It's been warm here in sw michigan.

Two (2) cords will:

Heat my 1168 square foot house. windows/doors are insulated house is fairly tight.

Keeping the thermostat at 60f I can keep my ranch warm from mid Nov to March 1!

I let the fire run out after 9pm and start it up again in the morning.

When the meter reader comes to my home he always has this puzzled look on his face.

lol

My combined gas/electric bill are about the same year round.

My house is usually around 70-75 when stove is going.

How much wood you burn depends on several factors:

1. What is your latitude? Generally, someone in Alaska will burn more than someone in N Carolina.

2. Do you heat EXCLUSIVELY with wood? A home heated only with wood will burn much more than one with accessory wood heat.

3. What inside temperature do you try to achieve with wood heat? Wanting an inside temperature of 72* F requires more wood than someone who is comfortable at 68* F.

4. Is your wood stove modern (Phase II)? Older stoves not only are "dirtier", they generally require more fuel.

5. Are you proficient at "dialing in" your wood stove? This is a BIG factor in how much wood one consumes. Most newbies are not efficient.

6. Is your wood well seasoned? Unseasoned (wetter) wood takes longer to burn, produces less heat not to mention more pollutants.

7. Have you matched your wood fuel load to the size of your wood stove? Over/under loading a stove wastes wood.

8. Do you burn hot or let your fire smolder? Slow smoldering fires last longer but produce less heat and can add to wood consumption.

So, it's not too difficult to see that a pure number (3 cords vs 5 cords) means much unless one qualifies things a bit.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "Don't work harder. Work smarter."

Usually a semi load (21 cords) and whatever is around the farm. Thats why i trashed the OWB and trying gasification this year. Hope it makes a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.