how many cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bebopin

Dec 29, 2007
Wisconsin
found this for sale just wondering how many cords are hear? 8' long and from 3-6'' round. just a guess.

howmanycords.jpg

how long, wide, and high in feet is the stack? you take those numbers multiply all three like LxWxH=cubic feet then you divide the total cubic feet by 128 and that will be how many cords are there

Got an answer from seller.Says there is about 10 cords in logs and is asking $65 a cord.It was cut 3 yrs ago and ready to cut and split. good deal?

Ten Cords in that pictured pile? I have a hard time believing it, unless those are some pretty long, like 20 feet long, poles. Plus they are pretty thin diameter for serious burning. I'd be leary about this.

Chris

All I can add to that is my Mom used to tell me : How-Long is an Asian Man....LOL

Thay are 8' long and from 3''to6'' round. I will be going there to see them b4 paying.
Ohhh And what has an asin man have to do with wood? hehehehe

Edit... also the size of the logs cut 20'' will be good for fill ins with splits..is that good thinking?

I can believe it is about 10 cords - depending on how much air space is in that stack. If it were 6' high x 30' wide with 8' logs - well that is about 11 cords.

As for the quality of the wood, I would expect the outside of the logs to be showing some fungus or rot already - after 3 years. Given that they are not very big in diameter - any rot on the outside would significantly lower the quality of the wood. Check it out...

First off.....do you have ot haul it away? or is $65.00 a cord delivered. If it's been sitting there for 3 years, theres no doubt that some of it has punk'd out ( more so since alot of it looks like small diameter crown pieces). If it was me....I would bring my saw and cut a few caps off the really weathered stuff...especially if any of it is Red maple/ash/birch. Even small diamater oak exposed to rain and shade (the sap wood punks after a few seasons sitting out there in the woods. For me, ending up with a couple cords of really punky wood just is'nt worth the hassle of hualing it away. Unless wood is really expensive in your area, I would take a good look at the pile because in my area I can get grapple loads of 20 ft trunks delivered for 70 bucks a cord. Just my two cents.....

WoodButcher

bebopin said:
Got an answer from seller.Says there is about 10 cords in logs and is asking $65 a cord.It was cut 3 yrs ago and ready to cut and split. good deal?

I'm thinking 5 or 6 cords max and sitting like that 3 years, I'd be hagglin.

I can not tell from the picture what kind of wood it is by the picture and you did not say.

Also remember that a cord of wood in 8' length will yield a little less than a cord when cut, split and stacked.

As for not being, "pretty thin diameter for serious burning," it looks fine to me. I could never understand why someone would say a smaller diameter log is worthless but still split the larger chunks into smaller chunks. We burn and have burned those smaller logs for many, many moons and will continue. When I am cutting a tree I will cut down to about 2" to 2 1/2" diameter. True, those small pieces are used on the warmer days (above 20 degrees) but they burn nicely.

Here's another little trick. For those like us who have problems getting their coals burned down during the day but just burning the coals does not give enough heat, just lay 2 or 3 of the smaller rounds on the coals. The coals will continue to burn and the little pieces raise the temperature enough to give you some decent heat.

As for the wood not being any good after 3 years, why? Unless the wood was starting to get punky when it was cut there should be nothing to worry about. We've burned wood that has been stacked for 5 years or longer and that wood had been left uncovered too. It all depends upon the wood; what type of wood and was it dead already when it was cut or had it been down in the woods for a couple years before it was cut. btw, a dead tree can be cut and used very nicely as long as the tree is still standing or leaning against another tree. As long as it is not laying on the ground it should be fine.

I agree that thinner pieces have their place, but I don't know if I'd want 10 cords of it laying around. I'll take one large chunk that will burn for a few hours over several thin pieces that burn down more quickly anyday.

It looks like ten cords of hardwood pulpwood to me. That's a semi-trailer load. If you can, cut the ends off a couple of pieces and see how far the rot extends in towards the heart. You can't really tell without cutting into the wood. I would expect some surface rot, but if there's not too much, then the wood should be alright. I'd offer him $50 a cord. He'll never get more than that, and he won't get zip if he doesn't sell it soon. $50 a cord is not a bad delivered price. If you have to haul it, it becomes somewhat less attractive.

Thanks for the input.I will be looking at it next weekend.not going to buy without knowing if it is still good to use.I will have to load it on a trailer and bring it home.About 45 miles one way.How about $45 a cord for my effort. Will see how the stuff looks.
And Butcher: wish i was in your neck of the woods. I will be looking around to find someone that I can buy wood that way.

90 miles round trip. How many cords can you haul in a trip ?

i could see that being 10 cords or more. depends on the length of the pile. looks like pulpwood.

45 minute ride, and you've got to pick it up? forget that. maybe for $25/cord. you'll be making a lot of trips to get it, even with a trailer.

I agree with Dennis regarding the size of the logs. Then again maybe that's because we both have Woodstock stoves. Smaller stuff burns very nicely in my stove, but it's a cat and I can turn it way down. The real issue here seems to me to be the distance to go get it. IRS allows .42/mile deduction for auto use figuring that's what it cost you. 90 miles times .42 plus the value of your time makes this look like a less and less attractive proposition. If that pile was within 15 miles of my house, I'd go for it and yes, make a lower offer too, and yes, make sure the wood is still in good condition. It's perhaps a favorable sign with all those oak leaves on the ground in front of th pile. If it's oak, yummy! :)

bebopin said:
And Butcher: wish i was in your neck of the woods. I will be looking around to find someone that I can buy wood that way.

I'm butcher's bro in law... We buy from a tree service. $500 per grapple truck. Each truck holds approximately 8 cords, so it works out to about $62.50 per cord.

Look in your local YP's for tree services, they are usually also firewood dealers, and all of the ones in my area WILL sell you whole truckloads. Granted, getting out there and cutting and splitting is a lot of work, but it's worth it to cut your heating bill by 1/2 or more

I am having a cord of oak delivered Thursday for $140, already cut and split. The more I read, I think I got a great deal.

Yeah, I found a guy that will sell me wood for $140, split and delivered. That's pretty cheap with propane at $3.30/gal right now. I'm trying to decide how much my time is worth to do it myself. I'm starting to think my time is worth more building a wood shed or two and working on other projects around here than splitting wood at that price.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Yeah, I found a guy that will sell me wood for $140, split and delivered. That's pretty cheap with propane at $3.30/gal right now. I'm trying to decide how much my time is worth to do it myself. I'm starting to think my time is worth more building a wood shed or two and working on other projects around here than splitting wood at that price.

-SF

ask that same guy how much green is and will he give you a discount on say 4 or more cords
i got a green load coming 16 inches at 110 bcks a cord the guys has the machinge to cut any length so i thought .. if i go half with my friend on a truck its 350- 800 depending who and 5-10 cords depending who
i burn maybe 4 cords .. 440 vs 175 -400 bucks give or take
i will pay the 440 for the perfect split vs the many hrs of cutting and splitting and hauling as it would be at his house not mine
but being the friend i am i am still gonna do it with him this year so on a good note it will cost me 625 -800 for 8-9 cords ...
BUT i am gonna try to get a bigger discount from the guy... and get my friend to buy .. he doesnt want to as of now he says 110 is to much
part of me say to let him get the 5 cds for 350 and keep it ..lol

pinewoodburner said:
I am having a cord of oak delivered Thursday for $140, already cut and split. The more I read, I think I got a great deal.

That's a great deal on oak!

Ray

raybonz said:
pinewoodburner said:

Ray

how far are you from sturbridge? there is a guy there 100 bucks a cord green

My first year as a wood burner I made a horrible mistake of buying unprocessed wood 40 miles from my house. I bought 6 cord of tree length for 80 a cord not delivered. It was a STUPID thing to do. I had an S-10 truck and a trailer and could fit 3/4 cord in it. I would cut to 6-8' lengths, load into truck and trailer and unload in my yard and cut it up and pick it up to split it and pick it up to stack it and all the while paying for gas and a half a day to get this crap. I eventually rented a 24' pickett truck with a dump and went and got the last 3 cord of wood because I had already spent 4 1/2 saturdays getting this wood. That truck cost me $120 for the day. All said and done I think the wood cost me about 110 a cord and a month of Saturdays. My lovely bride has given me a 10 mile range to scavange wood from and I am grateful for this. It keeps my wandering wood eye close to home. All I can say is that unless you have a grapple loader and a tri-axle truck DO NOT DRIVE 90 MILES FOR WOOD.

iceman said:
raybonz said:
pinewoodburner said:

Ray

how far are you from sturbridge? there is a guy there 100 bucks a cord green

I'm a long ways from Sturbridge, I live next town from Plymouth, Ma.. I paid that much for wood 20 yrs. ago! I would take 3 cords if they would deliver it but I doubt that would happen..

Ray

This is the first year I cut and split wood for myself. In years past at my old house i would order a cord for $130-40. I have woods at my new house and cut up some downed trees. It was a hell of a lot of work. Unless the wood is really convenient I would say make it easy on yourself and just order from someone. Saves your back in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.