How many cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Was cutting some wood when I came across this Mullberry. Was nearly 5' across and probably 60' high. Normally the mullberry's don't grow that tall around here. There were limbs 20' up that were 2' in dia. It's a great old tree, plan to leave it. How many cords would you guess were in it?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 419
I would bet over 4-1/2 cords of some very good fire wood....Now a big saw splitter and some man power!

I helped cut an oak 5' diameter and tall. It was part hollow though. It got us 4 cords.

Lotsa wood! I'm just happy you are not cutting it down....gotta love the old ones!

I would guess between 5 and 6. I did a huge oak last summer and got 5 cord just out of the branches. There is probably another 3 or 4 in the trunk, but I don't have a saw big enough to get the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.