How many cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the greater DC area a cord of "mostly oak" will run you $200-250 delivered.

Last year I went through 4.5-5 cords (scrounged), of which at least a cord was red maple. It's not my favorite either, but it's a common yard tree here. Too far south for much sugar maple.

Now, in MI I have both red and sugar maple, and the wood seems identical. Both better than in MD. So perhaps it also depends on location/climate?

Trees that are stressed, by cold, low rainfall, altitude etc. can have tighter growth rings and are denser, even if it's the same genus of wood.

oak for under $300/cord out in the SF Bay Area is hard to find. (But what do I care? I scrounge and burn just about anything.)

$200 a cord here. For PINE !!! Standing dead is all your allowed to cut here,with a permit in designated areas. Unless its on your own property.
Permits are free up to 10 cord. If your not lazey as most wood burners arnt. Than its pretty easey to get your wood. All my wood comes from a permit for an area 2km from our property. Ill fetch 7+ cord a year with my quad and utility trailer. 1st trip starts May 1 when the ice on the lakes is to unsafe to fish.
Ill take one trip every evening when I get home from work after supper. Day light is now till 11pm @ this time and go twice on Saturdays till June.
I split and stack in June. Pick up the odd log here or there coming home from camping during the rest of the summer. That amounts
to about a cord. Mostly pine,poplar,spruce and a little birch if Iam lucky. I burn about 5-6 cord a year and have 15 cord ready to go. This Sunday Ill be out in the bush giving my two minutes of silence and exercising my freedom for the ones who gave.( Lest We Forget) and cuttin up some more wood in this beautiful country with my wife and two sons. :coolsmile: PEACE

I would never pay more than 70 a face cord and even that is too much in my book. I am going to try next year buying some logs and cutting and splitting myself, letting my Ryobi be a work horse. I usually go through about 7 face cords of wood, which I should be good this year and part of next I think. I am always on the lookout for free wood and living in a area that is pretty well off I can find it sometimes, yah baby.
Here it is about 700-800 for logs that get you about 22-24 face cords which is a good price if I can find the room to lay the logs down without making the yard look bad

Status
Not open for further replies.