How Many Forum members Installed Their Own Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
moondoggy said:
AND I NEVER COULD HAVE (or would have) DONE A THING.... without this site :)

I can agree with that. I would have done the install anyway but I have a better idea on how to do it proper after poking around on this site,

Self install here...and glad I did!
When I gutted the room, to install a cathedral ceiling, I found SINGLE WALL going through the attic space.
It was a hazard to say the least.

I've done two self installs. A 26' full exterior stovepipe from the basement for my old VC Dutchwest, and now a liner install for my as yet unfired Avalon Olympic. I moved and installed the Dutchwest solo. I needed a friend's help with getting the Olympic up some stairs- it is a beast. My wife helped with the liner install (holding the pipe still while I messed with adding the insulation and also in telling me when the liner extended far enough into the hearth).

My total cost so far, for heating two houses for 5 seasons with two stoves, has been 2,500- about the cost of one season's worth of fuel oil. And I have a three year old Avalon and shiny never been used stainless liner! You can save a LOT of money by doing it yourself and shopping around.

I've installed a Quad 2100i with full liner into a ZC fireplace as well as ripped out a ZC fireplace in current home and installed Quad 7100fp. Just put down a deposit on a Woodstock fireview today so I will be doing that install as well in the coming months......can't wait!

Noah said:
I installed mine.
How cold it get in Alaska and how much wood do you go through in a season?

Did mine myself. Full liner with a block off plate.

Hello to all you folks on this great site, first post. Aquired a Quadrafire 1100-i insert 2 years ago. Rebuilt it mayself and self installed in 800 sq ft basement. Runs like a dream so far. :)

smokinj said:
Noah said:
I installed mine.

First year burning so I don't know how much wood it will take. I have two cords that should be ready to burn and I don't think that will be enough. I'm considering buying one but I don't think it will be as seasoned as what I have.

As for temps, I'm in Eagle River which is 20 or so miles north of Anchorage. It can get cold here, in the 40 below zero range, but the ocean is near by so that keeps it from getting as cold as the interior.

Noah said:
smokinj said:
Noah said:
I installed mine.

First year burning so I don't know how much wood it will take. I have two cords that should be ready to burn and I don't think that will be enough. I'm considering buying one but I don't think it will be as seasoned as what I have.

As for temps, I'm in Eagle River which is 20 or so miles north of Anchorage. It can get cold here, in the 40 below zero range, but the ocean is near by so that keeps it from getting as cold as the interior.
That cold very cold!

Noah said:
smokinj said:
Noah said:
I installed mine.

A member that lives in Winnipeg said he burned 7 cords. i would think it would be around 5 cords??

good luck John

Did my own 27 foot flex liner lined with block offs exterior chimney. One year later I found Hearth.com :bug:

Many thanks to you all who submitted to this post, I ain't in Alaska but it does get mighty cold here,,,,Inland river valley, and we got 150" of snow last season. Days are moderate , but the nights are fridgid. That first snow storm, in Novenber never melted and was around until late April.

Installed myself after first tearing down and totally rebuilding the stove.

I installed my own also.

Installed mine. Flex liner, block off plate. Started here though.

My husband and I did everything. We picked up the beast (summit) carried it into the house (that was fun), built the hearth, laid the stone and did the rest of the work. The mechanical inspector was amazed by how "code" it was.........thats scary....means he sees alot that arent.

I put in my Englander 30 myself last winter. I had some help from my father, who installed his own Mama Bear back in the 80's.

Built the hearth pad and installed the class-A chimney. The entire install (stove + materials) cost less than $1500. Can't beat that! It'll pay for itself THIS YEAR!

-SF

We've installed every stove we've owned, but the neighbor did help a little on the last one.

I've put in four woodstoves so far...including this last one. I'd be skeptical of any woodstove company doing this work for me. I'd have to do so much research to feel safe with the intall that I might as well do it myself.

I'm in the middle of installing our FW240007 on weekends. My next trip up there will be Labor Day, to finish the roof support and close up the roof, and put a heat shield around the pipe.

I self-installed my Jindara Duo (has 2 doors, designed for one side to flush mount to plasterboard wall, the other to be freestanding) using an engine hoist and put a little article up on my old website here for anyone thinking of DIY and wanting some tips / ideas:

Apprentice_GM Reno - Fireplace Install

reno_moving_fireplace_by_engine_hoist.jpg

reno_first_fire.jpg

The full living room reno process is here:
Apprentice_GM Reno - Living Room

Hey Apprentice that's a real nice floor you put in there. Excellent follow through after taking out that white elephant like fireplace. Seeing all your pics sure made me wish I had photo documented all our projects too. Ya know a lot of people would put up with a goat screw fireplace like that only because it looks nice...but I admire those with a vision that requires some ruthless determination that the dismantling of that monstrosity took. Mega props to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.