How many gals of heating oil so far this season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russr

Jul 12, 2008
freetown ma
Filled my tank up in July at a very high price /gal. I'm still on auto fill with the oil company.When I came home from work on Friday,there was that pink slip in the mail box. They put in 70 gals. This includes domestic hot water.
4 months ,70 gals- How does this compare with everyone else?

I don't burn oil for heat, but have not had my NG furnace on this year yet. I'm sure there are a good many of us who haven't turned it on with the warm weather we've been having this year.

Matt

10 gallons or so. I use LP for hot water. 27 bags of pellets.

No oil used. And my pellet stove has been turned off
since Nov 4th because it hasn't been cold here.
60's during the day...now if it would only stop raining
so I could ride the Harley, this Fall would be wonderful!

About 6 Gallons for DHW...Since the beginning of October...15 bags of pellets in my stove and about 6 in the girlfriends... :coolsmile:

We seem to use about 25 gallons a month for DHW.

Zero used. We've used about 1/8 tank in the previous 2 years, but we have propane HW. That hurts.

No oil here. I have a NG furnace that has not been turned on yet.
Only been using the NG for hot water.

Stove has been off for a few days as it is about 72 in the house without it.

We are using oil at roughly the same rate - about 1/2 gallon a day for hot water only. So far this season zero oil for heat.

Water boiler has not been turned on yet.
DHW is by electric that I put a timer on. Since putting the timer on I have saved about $20/ month on the bill.
Closing in on 20 bags of pellets.

Bantam said:
DHW is by electric that I put a timer on. Since putting the timer on I have saved about $20/ month on the bill.

My electric DHW runs about $30 a month, 2 adults. Tell me about the timer, cost, installation, how do you program it. Thanks

I had my tank filled on August 8th and again on November 6th...used 65 gallons of fuel oil during that time. My hot water heater runs on the fuel oil as well. I'm also keeping my zones in the basement and garage on very low as there is radiant floor heating in there. We've had some good cold spells here already with a foot of snow a couple of weeks ago so I don't think that's bad at all.

98 gallons at the end of October, since my last fill up in April. Got off the auto delivery program when we had the XXV installed in October. I expect to call for my fill up Next October. At least that's my goal. Only using it for domestic hot water since I filled it in October and hope to keep it that way. But nice to know it's there for back-up or additional heat if necessary.

Furnace has only run twice since stove installed, couple of mornings just to throw extra heat upstairs.
No more than a gallon, 40 bags of pellets gone now though with another 160 in stock.

we haven't turned our oil burner on for heat yet and don't intend to unless it gets real cold or oil gets real cheap. I burn about 1/2 gallon a day for my indirect water heater. I haven't fired up the pellet stove in about 7 days. Been real warm here.

slls said:
Bantam said:

My electric DHW runs about $30 a month, 2 adults. Tell me about the timer, cost, installation, how do you program it. Thanks

The timer is called the "Little Gray Box" by Intermatic. I bought it from a big box store for $35. I see them on Ebay for around $20.
Make sure you use a 220 or 240 volt timer vs. a 110.
It is installed between the breaker box and the water heater. About an hour to install
Program is done by metal clips that attach to a round disc that rotates once every 24 hrs.
It has 3 on and 3 off clips.
I set ours for about 40 minutes before we get up in the morning and 20 minutes before the last one leaves the house on average.
Then I have it come on mid day for about an hour, then again about 20 minutes before the troops start coming home from work or school.
It then goes off around 10 pm.

It does have lever that you can flip if you need hot water for a longer time period.
I figure That how I have ours set up our DHWH only has access to electricity about 10 hours/day.

Hope this helps

Had a fill up on Oct. 27th and have used 50 gallons since my last fill up in April. Thermastat has been set at 60 and using a small electric heater in main room we use. Hope to soon have the pellet stove installed and running. Don't want to use any more oil then I have to.

0 gallons. Electric hot water and 37 bags of pellets. We like the house warm and try to keep the living room @ 68 minimum. The living room is the farthest from the stove and is the coldest room in the house, so the stove room typically pushes 80 degrees. Try that with oil!

My oil fill before Summer was in May or so. The last time the oil truck came was last month when oil was billed at $3.59 and they put in 120 gallons (250 gallon tank) for hot water use only during all that time.

Since the last fill a month ago, oil heat has been on exactly twice- a week ago heat for 24 hours and right now I just turned on one zone (our 2600sf house has 3 heat zones). Thermostat set at 67.

Our new Jotul Rockland has been doing a good job of keeping us warm by itself for the most part although my wood is not well seasoned and weather has been dropping into the 40's and 30's at night. But today the weather will drop to freezing here in CT and I broke down and turned on oil. Later this evening I will fire up the Jotul to supplement. I expect a oil truck fill at anytime and would be surprised if they put in more than 50 gallons. Our oil use has been minimal allowing us to take advantage of the much lower prices now available. I can now use my wood supply much more strategically instead of burning through my entire 5-6 cords or so in my first burning year. So next year I should have a good supply of well-seasoned oak already on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.