how many is too many

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

regency

Nov 27, 2009
Mi
i have two firebricks cracked in the back wall of my insert. They have been that way since last season. Do people repalace every brick immediately or is it no big deal to wait till three or four have cracked?

Cracks aren't that big of a deal as long as the structural integrity of the brick is still there. I don't think I'd leave it if there was brick missing and exposed metal where there shouldn't be, but if the cracked brick is laying horizontal and all the metal that should be covered is, I wouldn't worry about it.

That being said, a firebrick at the local concrete yard is about $2.50. Replacing it won't break the bank.

Matt

No big deal if they still fit together well and they are still robust meaning they haven't lost much size.

Rutland (and others probably) makes hi temperature mortar in a caulk tube. I've used it to repair cracked bricks. Works pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.